Iowa soccer relies on team depth for success

The Hawkeyes are out to an 8-0 start to the 2019 season, with a deep pool of players behind the early success.

Megan Nagorzanski

Iowa defender Hannah Drkulec heads the ball during Iowa’s match against Illinois State on Sunday, September 1, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Red Birds 4-3.

Isaac Goffin, Sports Reporter

For the Iowa soccer team, the game is truly a team sport.

So far this season, 13 different players have scored goals, and 11 have made an assist. It’s not just the seniors that are doing the work, though. Through eight games, six seniors, six sophomores, and three freshmen have contributed to at least one of those statistics.

This type of play has done well for the Hawkeyes, as they have an 8-0 record and are No. 19 in the United Soccer Coaches Poll, the highest ranking in program history.

The depth of this year’s Iowa squad has been a game changer for the Hawkeyes.

“Honestly, it’s been so important,” senior defender and captain Hannah Drkulec said. “Especially on the Sunday games ~ they call them the ‘Sunday grind’ because everyone’s tired from previous games that week, and just having that depth, and having players that you trust, and having people that can change the game coming off the bench is so important, and we’ve done such a good job with that.”

Everyone on this team understands and can execute their role.

Not only that, multiple players can also play different positions, not just the one listed in the roster. As a defender, Drkulec is an example of that, as she is tied for the team lead in goals with four.

“This year, we have a lot more players that can play more positions,” midfielder Josie Durr said. “And that allows us to be able to cover all levels of the field.”

With the depth of this Iowa team, practices have become more competitive.

RELATED: Iowa soccer caps off perfect nonconference season

“Team depth is something we’re continuing to work on,” head coach Dave DiIanni said. “Right now, we’re a solid 23, 24 players deep, and that group fighting not only to get minutes in games and get certain roles, but to be able to get on the travel squad, and I think in turn that has turned on sessions into being a bit more competitive, and everyone has had to put a little bit better mental physical effort to be prepared in training and developing.”

Still, the team has confidence in each other.

Iowa has scored 25 goals this season, the fifth-best total nationally.

“We’ve had these abilities, and we’ve developed these abilities over the years,” Drkulec said. “But just believing in the person besides you, having faith and knowing that they are going to do their job, I’m going to do my job, and everything’s going to work out for this game, puts us ahead of the other team I think.”

Veteran leadership has been of great importance for Iowa, which is an expectation for a team with 12 seniors.

“They are very invested in going out a high note,” DiIanni said. “Not just for themselves, but for the program and for the school and leaving something that they can be proud of. When you have good senior leadership and you have it senior lead, that’s when you have a chance to have a good season.”

Depth will get crucial test this weekend, as the Hawkeyes play at Indiana on Friday and at Purdue on Sunday in their first Big Ten games of the season.