Iowa beats Iowa State for fifth-consecutive season

The Hawkeyes trailed most of the game but came back late to secure the victory.

Iowa+State+quarterback+Brock+Purdy+throws+a+pass+during+a+football+game+between+Iowa+and+Iowa+State+at+Jack+Trice+Stadium+in+Ames+on+Saturday%2C+September+14%2C+2019.+

Shivansh Ahuja

Iowa State quarterback Brock Purdy throws a pass during a football game between Iowa and Iowa State at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames on Saturday, September 14, 2019.

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

After battling through two rain delays that lasted a total of two hours and 55 minutes, Iowa downed Iowa State with a muffed punt for its fifth-consecutive Cy-Hawk win, 18-17.

It didn’t always seem like that would be the final result, though.

Despite trailing for most of the game, Iowa took a 15-14 lead on a 1-yard touchdown run by Nate Stanley with 12:10 remaining in the fourth quarter for its first advantage of the game.

Then, the Cyclones battled back with a field goal for a 17-15 lead, but Duncan hit his fourth field goal from 39 yards to put Iowa up 1. Duncan finished the game 4-of-4 on field goals, hitting from 25, 40, 42, and 39 yards.

After getting the ball back, Iowa punted, but the Cyclones muffed it, ending the game.

In the beginning, however, it was all Iowa State.

The Cyclones took a 7-3 advantage after the first lightning delay in the first quarter when Deshaunte Jones threw a 51-yard touchdown pass to a wide-open La’Michael Pettway on a double pass.

Iowa State had another chance to extend its lead before halftime, but Iowa safety Geno Stone forced Cyclone quarterback Brock Purdy to fumble on Iowa’s 30-yard line, and the Hawkeyes recovered. After the Hawkeyes mustered a field goal, Iowa State entered the break with a 7-6 lead.

The Cyclones then scored with a 73-yard pass from Purdy to Tarique Milton on their second play after halftime to extend their lead to 14-6.

Iowa managed to keep the game close with another field goal from Keith Duncan to cut the deficit to 5 before Stanley’s rushing score.

Iowa quarterback Nate Stanley finished 22-of-35 for 201 yards, while Cyclone quarterback Brock Purdy completed 24 of his 34 passes for 276 yards and a touchdown.

View photos from the Cy-Hawk game