No. 7 Iowa field hockey takes on California, No. 2 Duke

Iowa field hockey is coming off a big win against Central Michigan and is prepared to take on No. 2 Duke

Hannah Kinson

Iowa forward Maddy Murphy celebrates a goal during a field hockey game between Iowa and Central Michigan at Grant Field on Friday, September 6, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Chippewas, 11-0.

Jahlynn Hancock, Sports Reporter

No. 7 Iowa field hockey moves into its third week of the season to face off against California and No. 2 Duke. 

Last weekend, the Hawkeyes finished their weekend with a win over Central Michigan, 11-0, and a win over Columbia, 3-1. 

“We went into the game prepared, physically and mentally and executed our game plan how we expected too,” head coach Lisa Cellucci said. 

Nine different players scored Iowa’s 11 goals over the course of the win against Central Michigan and held them to no shots during the match.  

“I think it is very exciting knowing that 9 different players have managed to put the ball into the net. It is my job to put it [the ball] away,” Sophie Sunderland said.

The Hawkeyes have built their team off of leadership, and senior Katie Birch is at the heart of that. 

“We worked as a team, played as a team and won as a team. We have to continue to focus on working together, we have to try and work together as much as possible,” Birch said.

The Hawkeyes have been making progress with managing their game plans and execution before and after game days, preparing their team for future success.

Iowa is scheduled to play California today and No. 2 Duke on Sunday in Iowa City.

Iowa currently leads California, 12-1, in the overall career match ups, with the only loss coming in 2002. 

Duke is currently undefeated on the season and leads the all-time record 5-2.  Iowa hasn’t beat Duke since 2007.