Graduate, CAB kick off alcohol-alternative programming

Jenna Galligan

Magician Eric Michaels chains his assistant Niki’s wrists for a trick at Poindexter Coffeehouse on Saturday, August 25, 2019. The show was put on by CAB, who will offer more show dates as part of their Coffee House Series this semester. (Jenna Galligan/The Daily Iowan)

Maddie McCarron, News Reporter

The Graduate Iowa City hosted its first alcohol-alternative event — known as the Poindexter Coffeehouse Series — on the evening of Aug. 24 as an effort to promote activities that could help reduce high-risk drinking among the student population.

The Campus Activities Board kicked off the series with magician Eric Michaels. For the events, the organization partnered with the Graduate, which offered to facilitate the event and the remainder of alcohol-alternative programming for the academic year.

The move follows the hotel’s donation of $50,000 in funding to the University of Iowa for late-night programming in February.

“This is in collaboration with the Campus Activities Board,” Graduate general manager Nikolaus Kern said. “Along with our donation, we provide the space and the atmosphere to host the events, and the board and students curate the performances.”

Jenna Galligan
Magician Eric Michaels used doves in his performance at Poindexter Coffeehouse on Saturday, August 25, 2019. The show was put on by CAB, who will offer more show dates as part of their Coffee House Series this semester. (Jenna Galligan/The Daily Iowan)

In a recent survey, the National College Health Assessment showed 76.8 percent of college students said they drink and use drugs, and 78.2 percent recorded a blood-alcohol content of .10 or higher at some point.

Student Activities and Programming coordinator Shelley Hartman said there will be a Graduate Comedy series in addition to the Poindexter Coffeehouse Series. The CAB comedy director and its committee will oversee and plan those events, she said.

“There will be two types of events each semester,” Hartman said. “Other performances will include acoustic artists and poetry slams, among others.”

Approximately 20 UI students were in attendance at the Graduate for the CAB kickoff Aug. 25, which was advertised as an opportunity for both returning and incoming students.

Jenna Galligan
Magician Eric Michaels pulls coffee out of a paper bag as part of a trick at Poindexter Coffeehouse on Saturday, August 25, 2019. The show was put on by CAB, who will offer more show dates as part of their Coffee House Series this semester. (Jenna Galligan/The Daily Iowan)

“All of these events are a great opportunity to enjoy our beautiful downtown, which has opportunities for everyone to feel welcomed and included,” Hartman said. “And they will feature local up-and-coming talent.”

UI freshman Kaylie MacDonald said she and a friend learned about the magic show through On Iowa! programming and went because they thought it would be a fun way to spend the evening.

“We actually flipped a coin to decide between this and something else,” MacDonald said. “But this seemed like it would be interesting and a cool place to meet people.”

UI freshman Paige Doyle agreed, adding that she would attend another event at the Graduate and would recommend it to other students.

“My friend and I saw a poster when we were walking in our hall, and we thought it sounded interesting,” Doyle said. “We both love magic, so we wanted to come see it.”

The late-night programming seems like something new and different to do near and on campus, she said.

“I would definitely come back,” Doyle said. “It’s something fun, and it’s also something different from everything else.”

The late-night programming aims to appeal to students just as much as drinking activities downtown, Kern said, but without any alcohol. The events will likely be a success, he said, and will set the tone for this semester and the entire academic year.

“I think the folks who planned these events have worked really hard to find exciting things for people to come to and enjoy,” Kern said. “It’s still on the Ped Mall but an alternative to going out at night. It’s still fun and exciting and offers a good time.”