Wieskamp withdraws name from NBA Draft, returns for sophomore season

After a stellar freshman campaign, Joe Wieskamp will be back in Iowa City for more next season.

Katina Zentz

Iowa guard Joe Wieskamp reacts to an Iowa basket during the NCAA game against Cincinnati at Nationwide Arena on Friday, March 22, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Bearcats 79-72.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Just one day after losing Jordan Bohannon for an indefinite period of time, Iowa basketball received some good news.

Joe Wieskamp announced Wednesday that he has withdrawn his name from the NBA Draft to return to Iowa for his sophomore season.

Although he was expected to head back to Iowa City after getting his feet wet in the draft process, Wieskamp’s official return allows Hawkeye fans to breathe a sigh of relief.

“I am excited to announce that I will be returning to the University of Iowa for my sophomore season,” Wieskamp said in a release. “I learned a lot of valuable information going through the NBA Draft process that will help me continue to grow now, and in the future when I decide to take that next step. But for now, my focus is helping this Iowa team be the best that we can be. The future is bright! Go Hawks!”

Wieskamp, who earned a spot on the All-Big Ten Freshman Team, played a key role in Iowa’s run to the NCAA Tournament in his first season. The Muscatine, Iowa, native ranked third on Iowa in scoring with 11.1 points per game and finished second in the Big Ten in 3-point shooting, nailing shots at a 42.4 percent clip. He also pulled down 4.9 rebounds a game, good for second on the Hawkeyes.

“We are happy to have Joe back for his sophomore season,” Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery said in a release. “I’m glad that Joe had the opportunity to go through the process and receive feedback from NBA personnel. I’m incredibly proud of the professional approach Joe took during this process. This experience provided him feedback on what he needs to work on as he strives to reach his full potential and play at the highest level. Joe is a valuable member of our team on and off the court, and we look forward to him being a leader for us next season.”

With Tyler Cook and Isaiah Moss departing the program and Bohannon’s status up in the air, Wieskamp and Luka Garza will be looked upon to lead the team in the new season.