Joe Biden to visit Iowa City Wednesday

After launching his campaign April 25, Joe Biden will visit three eastern Iowa cities this week.

Former Vice President Joe Biden speaks during the Cedar Rapids Early Vote Rally at the Veterans Memorial Building in Cedar Rapids on Tuesday, October 30, 2018. The event featured remarks from Iowa Democratic Candidate for Governor Fred Hubbell, Iowa First Congressional District candidate Abby Finkenauer, and former Vice President Joe Biden.

Sarah Watson, Politics Editor

Former vice president Joe Biden will return to Iowa for his first visit since launching his campaign for president. His stops include ones in Cedar Rapids, Dubuque, and Iowa City over Tuesday and Wednesday.

Biden announced his bid Thursday in a launch video, where he referenced the Unite the Right white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia and said “we are in the battle for the soul of this nation.”

This is his third attempt at the Democratic presidential nomination, having run once in 1988 and again in 2008. He also campaigned as the running mate to President Obama in 2012. He last visited Iowa just before the midterm elections when he rallied in Cedar Rapids for then-candidate for Congress Abby Finkenauer.

He’ll start Tuesday in Cedar Rapids, travel to Dubuque later that evening and will, as of his schedule at the moment, cap his tour with a stop in Iowa City on Wednesday.

Tuesday, April 30

Cedar Rapids: A meet and greet will begin at noon (doors open at 11:30 a.m.) at the Veterans Memorial Building 50 2nd Ave Bridge, Cedar Rapids. RSVP link.

Dubuque: 5:45 p.m. — 7 p.m. at Grand River Center, 500 Bell St., Dubuque. RSVP link.

Wednesday, May 1

Iowa City:  12:15 p.m. — 1:30 p.m. at Big Grove Brewery & Taproom 1225 S. Gilbert St., Iowa City. RSVP link.