Stanley to throw out first pitch at Banks Field on Saturday

The Hawkeye quarterback will try his hand at throwing a baseball for a day.

Nick Rohlman

Iowa quarterback Nate Stanley throws a pass during the Outback Bowl game between Iowa and Mississippi State at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida on Tuesday, January 1, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Bulldogs 27-22.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa football quarterback Nate Stanley is trading in his football for a baseball for one day this weekend.

The soon-to-be senior signal caller will throw out the first pitch before Iowa baseball’s matchup with Nebraska at Banks Field on Saturday at 2 p.m.

The game will also serve as Football Day at Banks Field, as more than 30 Hawkeyes will be available to sign autographs from 1 p.m. until about 1:40 p.m. There is a limit of one signature per person and fans must have a game ticket to be eligible.

The event will replace Iowa’s open spring practice, which was canceled due to turf maintenance.

Stanley threw for 2,852 yards with 26 touchdowns in 2018, making it his second 26-touchdown season in a row. His season was highlighted by a 320-yard, 6-touchdown performance in Iowa’s 42-16 win over Indiana on Oct. 13.

Iowa baseball currently sits at 21-14 (7-5 Big Ten) with a 12-3 record at home. The Huskers, on the other hand, are first in the Big Ten standings with a 21-11 overall record, including a 10-2 mark in conference play.