Hawkeyes host first rowing meet in three years

The Iowa rowing team will host an event for the first time since 2016.

Iowas+rowing+team+practices+on+the+Iowa+River+on+Friday%2C+Sept.+15%2C+2017.+The+rowing+team+recently+finalized+their+schedule%2C+with+two+home+competitions+on+Oct.+6+and+7.+

Lily Smith

Iowa’s rowing team practices on the Iowa River on Friday, Sept. 15, 2017. The rowing team recently finalized their schedule, with two home competitions on Oct. 6 and 7.

Sarah Altemeier, Sports Reporter

For the first time in three years, the Iowa rowing team’s schedule includes a home event. The competition will take place Saturday at Lake Macbride, when No. 13 Iowa will host No. 11 Wisconsin, No. 20 Minnesota, and No. 19 Indiana in the Big Ten double dual.

After being on the road for three years, fans of the program couldn’t stay in one place to watch the team. But this weekend, that won’t be the case.

“The only way for parents and supporters to see us the last couple years is to hit the road and follow us around the country,” head coach Andrew Carter said. “We have a greater volume coming out when we have a home competition. Those people get to connect with one another at a greater level, and it is a time when our students can validate their hard work in front of their strongest supporters.”

With the last home event being in 2016, only nine seniors — Faith Wieland, Rachel Valentine, Andjela Milenkovic, Rachel Canon, Logan Jones, Carly Millerd, Allison Blevins, Paige Schlapkohl, and Elizabeth Pritchard — have had the chance to compete in front of a home crowd.

Jones, the 1V8 coxswain, is not taking a home senior meet for granted, or any moment for the rest of this season.

“We had a home race my freshman year, and just looking between the differences — how much I’ve grown,” Jones said. “I’ve been with the boat that I’m in this year and the past year, and I’ve just gotten close with all my teammates. [I’m] just kind of trying to enjoy every moment, especially being able to have a home race my senior year, just trying to take in every moment that I can from here on out.”

The rest of Iowa’s team has never competed at Lake Macbride, including junior Eve Stewart.

RELATED: Iowa rowing looks to top returners to continue success

While the competition aspect in Iowa will certainly be new to many, Stewart looks forward to sleeping in her own bed.

“I’ve never competed at home here before, but it’s definitely different not having to pack our suitcases and get ready to travel, but I definitely think it has its benefits,” she said. “You don’t have to worry about getting tired legs. You’re in your own bed, and it’s a little bit more relaxed. We’re doing a team dinner on Friday night to kind of simulate that typical racing environment for us, but it should be a nice change.”

After going 1-2 at the Pac-12 Invitational in California March 30-31, the Hawkeyes picked up a few areas in which to improve.

“Obviously, doing California, we got to know where we can improve during the race.” Stewart said. “So the past two weeks, we’ve just been focusing on strategy plans and kind of working on areas, bettering areas — hopefully, putting our best foot forward this weekend.”

The Hawkeyes will take on the Badgers to kick off the weekend.

“It is a little bit far and few between for us to be able to host here at Iowa, and to be able do it with Big Ten opponents is fantastic,” Carter said. “These are three really great teams that are coming in here to race on our lake, two of which we get to face. So, great measuring posts and great to do it in front of some fans.”