Guest Opinion: Apply to be a UISG executive

UISG Cabinet Director Kyle Scheer encourages students to apply for a UISG position as an executive member.

UISG+members+listen+during+the+UISG+meeting+in+the+Blackbox+theater+in+the+IMU+on+March+26%2C+2019.+UISG+discussed+funding+for+Walk+It+Out%2C+one+of+the+biggest+multicultural+student+organizations+on+campus%2C+as+it+relates+to+the+remaining+funds+UISG+has.+

Katie Goodale

UISG members listen during the UISG meeting in the Blackbox theater in the IMU on March 26, 2019. UISG discussed funding for Walk It Out, one of the biggest multicultural student organizations on campus, as it relates to the remaining funds UISG has.

Over my three years at the University of Iowa, I’ve had the privilege of serving two years in UI Student Government’s Executive Branch as director of Student Services and then Cabinet director. Over that time, I’ve had the chance to work with some of the most capable and passionate student leaders on campus on a variety of different student issues. The connections and friendships I’ve made with those students have made me a stronger leader and advocate.

When I look back on my college years, a prominent aspect of what I can be proud of will have nothing to do with the work I’ve done in the classroom but the impact that my work has had on the UI. Don’t get me wrong, there have been times when I’ve been frustrated with the things we can’t accomplish, the things we tried to accomplish and failed, or the way we have gone about doing things. But that’s the beauty of it. There is still so much room for growth in UISG and the University of Iowa, which is why a new generation of student leaders is needed.

If you’re frustrated with the way things are, if you have the passion and drive to make positive change on campus, if you think UISG isn’t doing enough to serve students, apply to be an executive. UISG is the best avenue to make your vision for the UI become a reality. Applications will close Friday, so don’t miss this opportunity to make a difference.

Kyle Scheer

UISG Cabinet director