No ‘evidence of collusion,’ Grassley says after Mueller investigation ends

Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley urges an end to the 'collusion narrative' after the conclusion of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Then-Senate+Judiciary+Committee+Chair+Chuck+Grassley%2C+R-Iowa%2C+talks+to+reporters+at+the+Eight+Circuit+Judicial+Conference+in+Des+Moines+on+Friday%2C+Aug.+17%2C+2018.+

Then-Senate Judiciary Committee Chair Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, talks to reporters at the Eight Circuit Judicial Conference in Des Moines on Friday, Aug. 17, 2018.

Sarah Watson

Sarah Watson

Sarah Watson

Marissa Payne, Managing Editor

Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley, the former Senate Judiciary Committee chairman, said Friday that despite knowledge of Russian election meddling, evidence of collusion between President Trump associates and Russia remains to be seen after the conclusion of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s two-year long investigation into the matter.

“We know that the Russians tried to meddle in our democratic processes to sow divisions, as they have in so many other countries,” Grassley, currently the Senate Finance Committee chairman, said in a statement. “But throughout this prolonged investigation, which cost tens of millions in taxpayer dollars and included aggressive surveillance tools, we still haven’t seen any evidence of collusion.”

Attorney General William Barr notified Congress Friday evening that he had received Mueller’s report on his investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election and potential obstruction of justice by Trump.

Grassley said lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have praised Mueller’s integrity, but urged the “collusion narrative” to be put to rest now that Mueller has wrapped up the investigation.

“… Attorney General Barr must provide Congress and the American people with the findings to finally put an end to the speculation and innuendo that has loomed over this administration since its earliest days,” Grassley said. “Attempts to keep the collusion narrative alive, especially for political reasons, will only serve to further harm our political discourse and play into the hands of our foreign adversaries.”

Barr on Friday wrote in a letter to House and Senate Judiciary Committee leaders — the chairmen and ranking members of each committee — that he “may be in a position to advise [them] of the special counsel’s principal conclusions as soon as this weekend.”

Per Justice Department regulations, the special counselor’s report should make clear who was charged, who was investigated but not charged, and why.

Various media outlets, including the Washington Post, have reported that Mueller has not recommended any further indictments, according to a senior Justice Department official. The investigation resulted in criminal charges against 34 people, including six former Trump associates and several Russians and Russian military intelligence officials, according to the Post.

In a tweet, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Barr will determine the next steps.

“… We look forward to the process taking its course,” she said. “The White House has not received or been briefed on the Special Counsel’s report.”

Marissa Payne, Managing Editor

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @marissa42_

Marissa Payne is the Managing Editor of The Daily Iowan. She started working at the DI her...

• No ‘evidence of collusion,’ Grassley says after Mueller investigation ends

Baseball

Iowa baseball takes Game 1 over Nebraska in walk-off fashion

UI takes step to partner with firm to maintain utility system

Regents approve new policy regarding freedom of expression

Faculty Forward cuts into regents’ meeting to protest, call for sick-leave bank

Second measles case in Iowa confirmed

Softball edged by Drake despite solid pitching

Three Iowa track athletes set personal bests in Bryan Clay Invitational

The legacy of UI alum George Stout, the father of art conservation

Getting to know Iowa rowing’s coxswains

Inside and out: World-renowned sculptor and alum returns to UI campus