Hawkeye divers set for NCAAs

Iowa swimming and diving starts its postseason on Monday with the diving team heading to Austin, Texas.

David Harmantas

Iowa diver Anton Hoherz dives off the three-meter board in the preliminary diving rounds of the Hawkeye Invitational on Thursday, Nov. 15, 2018. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

Tanner DesPlanque, Sports Reporter

The postseason is here, and the Iowa diving team will compete in Austin, Texas, from March 11-13 at the Lee and Joe Jamail Swimming Center for the 2019 NCAA Zone D Diving Championships.

On Day 1, the Hawkeye men start the competition off the 1-meter springboard followed by the women who will dive of the 3-meter springboard. Day 2 has the women diving off the 1-meter and the men will be on the 3-meter. The final day of the competition concludes with dives off the platform.

All the divers on Iowa’s team qualified for the NCAA Zone D Diving Championship. For the Hawkeye men, the divers who qualified include sophomore Anton Hoherz, senior Will Brenner, and sophomore Jonatan Posligua. On the women’s side sophomore Jayah Mathews, junior Thelma Strandberg, freshman Sam Tamborski, senior Jacintha Thomas, freshman Jolynn Harris, and sophomore Claire Park qualified.

Mathews has been the most dominant for the women this season, and she also qualified the for championships last year. She is currently the second-best in program history off the 1-meter with a score of 330.05 she earned when Iowa hosted Wisconsin and Northwestern on Jan. 19. The score ranks Mathews 45th overall in the NCAA off the 1-meter.

She sits at No. 27 overall in the NCAA off the 3-meter with the third-best score in school history of 380.30 that she earned at the last regular season meet when the Hawkeyes hosted Northern Iowa and Western Illinois. She is also coming off a fourth-place finish off the 3-meter in the 2019 Big Ten Championships where she scored 353.10.

The men have two prestigious divers, but it varies on the distance of dive.

Brenner is the current record holder for the Iowa men off the 1-meter springboard with a score of 368 but has only scored 364.45 this season at the Hawkeye Invitational. He also sits at the No. 2 spot for the 3-meter with a score of 394.30 that earned at the final regular season dual where Iowa hosted Northern Iowa and Western Illinois.

Hoherz currently is the program record holder off the platform with a score of 415.65 that he earned at the 2018 Big Ten Championships. The highest score Hoherz had off the platform this season was a 365.35 that he scored early in the season when Iowa hosted Denver and Michigan. He also finished eighth-place overall in the Big Ten Championships off the 1-meter.

Off the platform for the Hawkeye women, Strandberg, with a score of 254.70 from the Hawkeye Invitational, is the only one in the top-50 at No. 45. For the men, Hoherz sits at No. 30 (365.35) and Posligua is at the No. 45 spot (331.20) earned at the Hawkeye Invitational.

Besides Mathews, Tamborski is the only other diver on either the men’s or women’s team who had a top-50 spot off the 3-meter. Tambroski sits at No. 47 with a score of 355.05 that she earned at the last regular season dual.

Lastly, no one for the Iowa men ranks in the top-50 off the 1-meter this season, and Mathews is the only one on the women’s side at No. 45.