Marissa Payne appointed next DI editor-in-chief

The Daily Iowan selected Marissa Payne as editor-in-chief for the 2019-20 academic year.

Managing+Editor+for+The+Daily+Iowan%2C+Marissa+Payne%2C+poses+for+a+portrait+in+the+Adler+Journalism+Building+on+Monday%2C+March+4%2C+2019.+Payne+will+be+the+new+editor-in-chief+next+year.+

Katina Zentz

Managing Editor for The Daily Iowan, Marissa Payne, poses for a portrait in the Adler Journalism Building on Monday, March 4, 2019. Payne will be the new editor-in-chief next year.

Katie Ann McCarver, News Reporter

Student Publications Inc. announced on Monday that Marissa Payne will assume the role of editor-in-chief for the 2019-20 academic year.

Originally from Grayslake, Illinois, Payne is a journalism and political-science major in her junior year at the University of Iowa.

Payne serves as the managing editor and previously was a higher-education reporter covering the state Board of Regents and UI administration, designer, summer news editor, and digital producer.

RELATED: DI appoints Gage Miskimen as the new editor-in-chief 

“This whole experience feels very surreal,” she said. “To finally have achieved this goal I’ve had for a long time feels amazing.”

Payne said her wide range of experience in the newsroom, including an internship at the Cedar Rapids Gazette, has prepared her to manage the newspaper day-to-day while simultaneously helping the organization grow and build on its 150-year history.

“Having worked at the DI for three years, I’ve gotten to know the community well, and the community’s gotten to know me,” she said. “I’m excited next year to serve our community the best way possible with journalism and to learn more about [its] needs.”

Her key goals include further growing the digital team to make more specialized multimedia content, increasing community engagement, and pushing for more in-depth reporting in the newsroom.

Having worked at the DI for three years, I’ve gotten to know the community well, and the community’s gotten to know me. I’m excited next year to serve our community the best way possible with journalism and to learn more about [its] needs.

— Marissa Payne

DI Publisher Jason Brummond said he is most excited to see the manifestation of Payne’s ideas on engaging the community and her natural desire to drive more investigative reporting.

“Editor-in-Chief for the DI has so many different responsibilities, and it’s a combination of being a leader, a good reporter, a strategic thinker, and understanding the big picture,” Brummond said. “It’s a big ask for anyone to take all of that on, but I think Marissa is well-equipped to tackle that.”

Brummond said Payne has proven herself as an exceptionally strong reporter, and she is in a good position to build on some of the changes implemented this academic year by current Editor-in-Chief Gage Miskimen.

Miskimen said he thinks Payne will go down as a DI great, primarily because she has amazing news judgment, is well-informed, and constantly seeks out new stories.

“She has been ready to be a leader in this organization since she stepped on campus as a freshman,” Miskimen said. “She just loves journalism.”

Miskimen said one of the most underrated responsibilities of an editor-in-chief is the ability to have patience and understanding with a newsroom of more than 120 varied college students, but he believes Payne will have their best interests in mind.

SPI Board Chair Lawryn Fraley said Payne’s breadth of experience ultimately deemed her the more viable one of two candidates.

“It’s obvious that she seems a natural leader,” Fraley said. “Creating a community around that is key as editor-in-chief.”

Payne said she is excited to lead the staff and continue forming and building on relationships in the newsroom.

“The DI’s home, and the staff is my family,” Payne said. “To be able to take care of it next year as editor is such an honor.”