UISG passes resolution in support of West Side Food Pantry

The UI Student Government proclaimed its support for the recently opened Food Pantry West.

Hannah Kinson

Nonperishable foods are stored in shelving on Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2019. The newest branch of the UI Food Pantry is located in the upstairs of the LGBTQ Resource Center.

Caleb McCullough, News Reporter

The UI Student Government unanimously passed a resolution in support of the newly established West Side Food Pantry on Feb. 26.

“The University of Iowa Student Government supports the efforts of the UI Food Pantry to aid UI students experiencing food insecurity,” the legislation said.

The West Side Pantry, which opened on Feb. 18, is located at the Pride Alliance Center.

The East Side Food Pantry is located in 212 IMU; it has served the UI community since March 2016.

MOre than 13,000 pounds of food were given away to 644 visitors at the East Side location in the fall of 2018, said UISG Sen. AJ Smith, who wrote the legislation.

“This resolution will show our support of both Food Pantry West and our support of ending food insecurity at Iowa,” Smith said.

RELATED: Food Pantry at Iowa brings new location to West Side

UISG allocated $5,000 for the opening of the West Side location and its operation for spring and summer, Food Pantry Executive Director Christian Zirbes said.

Food Pantry West manager Kayla Carter said the decision to open the new location was based on an effort to give more options to students who may not have been able to easily access the East Side location.

Carter said the location was chosen specifically to increase access for graduate students.

“[Food insecurity] is something that college students face, and you shouldn’t be afraid to mention it and try to work toward solutions,” Carter said.