Numbers behind No. 21 Iowa’s 76-70 win over Indiana

Jordan Bohannon went off, Ryan Kriener gave Iowa solid minutes off the bench, and more stats from the Hawkeyes’ 76-70 win over Indiana.

Katina Zentz

Iowa guard Jordan Bohannon prepares to shoot the ball during men’s basketball vs. Indiana at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, February 22, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Hoosiers 76-70. (Katina Zentz/The Daily Iowan)

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Jordan Bohannon likes hitting shots when the game is on the line, and that’s exactly what he did, draining a leaning 3-pointer to tie the game at the end of regulation.

Not satisfied?

Bohannon nailed three more 3-pointers after he forced overtime, including a highlight sequence of defense leading to offense.

The junior stripped the ball from a Hoosier and then immediately pulled up from downtown, hitting the 3-pointer.

“I tried to pass to Tyler [Cook], and [Juwan] Morgan tried to steal it,” Bohannon said. “There wasn’t a lot of time left on the shot clock. I knew that probably the best shot we’d get was if I would heave one up… ball fell in my hands perfectly and I was able to get a shot off.”

Bohannon didn’t even score till the second half, but he made it count late in the game. All in all, he scored 14 of his 17 points in the game’s final 7:17. 9 of those came in the game’s final 2:47.

Iowa didn’t hit a 3-pointer till the 17:09 mark in the second half.

Bohannon caught fire at the end of regulation, but before that, the Hawkeyes struggled to hit shots. Isaiah Moss’ 3-pointer at the 17:09 mark in the second half quenched the shooting drought; the Hawkeyes missed their first 10 triples on the night.

The Hawkeyes entered Friday’s contest hitting 37.7 percent of their 3-point shots, tying for the 45th-best mark in the country. Against Indiana, a team allowing 32.5 percent of 3-pointers to fall, Iowa managed to hit just 28 percent (7-for-25).

Ryan Kriener scored 8 points off the bench.

Kriener has showed on multiple occasions this season just how effective he can be, and Friday was no exception.

The junior forward saw a jump in minutes thanks to Luka Garza entering foul trouble early in the first half. In total, Kriener played 18 minutes, scoring 8 points, grabbing 3 rebounds, and assisting on a basket as well. He was +6 on the night.

“Everyone’s got a role – you can either complain about your role or embrace it,” Kriener said. “… whatever the team needs me to do, I’ve always said for the first day I got here, I’m just trying to do what I’ve got to do to win.”

Indiana missed 10 free throws.

Shooting roughly 66 percent from the free throw line, the Hoosiers made just 12 of their 22 shots at the stripe against the Hawkeyes – 54.5 percent.

Meanwhile, Iowa hit 17 of its 25 free throw attempts. Cook led he way with four makes.

Connor McCaffery finished with a team-high +24 in the box score.

McCaffery scored just 1 point against Indiana, but the bulk of his damage during his 25 minutes of action came in the form of a facilitator.

The point guard dished a team-high 5 assists and only turned the ball over once. He added a steal for good measure, too.