Iowa play-by-play announcer Gary Dolphin suspended for remaining basketball schedule

Gary Dolphin was suspended on Friday after his comment about Maryland basketball’s Bruno Fernando.

Veteran+voice+of+the+Hawkeyes+Gary+Dolphin+speaks+with+Iowa+linebackers+coach+Seth+Wallace+during+Iowa+football+media+day+on+Saturday%2C+Aug.+5%2C+2017.+The+Hawkeyes+will+play+open+up+non-conference+play+against+Wyoming+at+11+a.m.+%28CT%29+on+Saturday%2C+Sept.+2.+

Joseph Cress

Veteran voice of the Hawkeyes Gary Dolphin speaks with Iowa linebackers coach Seth Wallace during Iowa football media day on Saturday, Aug. 5, 2017. The Hawkeyes will play open up non-conference play against Wyoming at 11 a.m. (CT) on Saturday, Sept. 2.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Iowa basketball play-by-play announcer Gary Dolphin has been suspended indefinitely for the remainder of the basketball season, Hawkeye Sports Properties announced on Friday.

In Iowa’s 66-65 loss against Maryland on Tuesday, Terrapin forward Bruno Fernando tipped in a missed shot to put his team ahead with 7 seconds left, and his play ended up being the game-winning bucket.

“Fernando was King Kong at the end of the game,” Dolphin said after Tuesday’s contest.

On Friday, Dolphin released a statement regarding his comments about Fernando.

“During a broadcast, I used a comparison when trying to describe a talented Maryland basketball player. In no way did I intend to offend nor disparage the player. I take full responsibility for my inappropriate word choice and offer a sincere apology to him and anyone else who was offended. I wish the Iowa Hawkeye players, coaches and fans all the very best as they head into the final stretch of the season. I will use this time as an opportunity to grow as a person and learn more about unconscious bias.”

According to a release, Jim Albracht and Bobby Hansen will serve as the radio broadcasters for the rest of the men’s basketball season.