Hawkeye women’s swimming starts with up-and-down performance at Big Tens

The Hawkeyes will take the pool tomorrow looking for better times.

Iowa+swimmer+Hannah+Burvill+waits+for+the+results+of+the+race+during+the+Northwestern%2FWisconsin+swim+meet+at+the+Campus+Recreation+and+Wellness+Center+on+Saturday%2C+January+19%2C+2019.+The+mens+swimming+and+diving+team+defeated+the+Badgers%2C+164-136%2C+and+the+Wildcats%2C+194-106.+The+womens+swimming+and+diving+team+fell+to+the+Badgers%2C+191-109%2C+and+the+Wildcats%2C+178-122.+

Katina Zentz

Iowa swimmer Hannah Burvill waits for the results of the race during the Northwestern/Wisconsin swim meet at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center on Saturday, January 19, 2019. The men’s swimming and diving team defeated the Badgers, 164-136, and the Wildcats, 194-106. The women’s swimming and diving team fell to the Badgers, 191-109, and the Wildcats, 178-122.

Tanner DesPlanque, Sports Reporter

Championship season for Iowa swimming and diving is officially underway, as the women concluded Day 1 of the Big Ten Championships in Bloomington, Indiana, on Wednesday.

There were only two events that competed: the 200-medley relay and the 800-free relay. So far, the Hawkeye women are off to a slow start.

The first event was the 200-medley relay, with Samantha Sauer, Sage Ohlensehlen, Kelly McNamara, and Sarah Schemmel competing. Coming into the championships, the Hawkeyes were ranked eighth in the Big Ten in this race.

The Iowa women swam to a 12th-place finish with a time 1:42.20, which was also two seconds slower than their seeding time.

The other event of the of the night was the 800-free relay, where the Hawkeye women swam to better results. The team for this event consisted of Hannah Burvill, Allyssa Fluit, Lauren McDougall, and Kelsey Drake. Iowa was ranked at No. 9 in the event, coming in with a seeding time of 7:18.87.

The Hawkeye women cut eight seconds off this time to finish the race in seventh with a time of 7:10.10, good enough for the second-fastest time in Iowa history.

After Day 1 of the Big Ten Championships, the Iowa women are currently sitting at eighth with 76 points.

Hoping for better results, the Hawkeye women return to action for Day 2, where they will compete in both prelims and finals at 10 a.m. and 5:30 p.m, respectively. The events competing on Day 2 are the 500 free, 200 individual medley, 50 free, 1-meter diving, and the 400-medley relay.