Hawkeye women’s track and field takes on final meet of indoor season

The Hawkeyes split up to work on qualifying for Big Tens, while others spent time working on techniques.

Paxton Corey

Laulaga Tausaga shoulders the shotput during the Larry Wieczorek Invitational meet in Iowa City, Iowa; Saturday January 20, 2018. Laulaga finished fifth overall in the meet.

Sydney Becker, Sports Reporter

Notre Dame hosted the Alex Wilson Invitational over the weekend, allowing Iowa one more chance to post times for the Big Ten Championships. Athletes on the team who had yet to qualify for the Big Tens competed to hit the marks that would qualify them for next weekend.

While some individuals traveled in hopes of qualifying for next weekend, a large portion of the team stayed home to work on techniques and improve for the competition that will come up at the conference championships.

Daneisha Woodside recorded a career-best in the 400 meters (57.22). Junior Macie Weber finished the mile in 5:06.39, while Lindsay Welker ran the 800 in 2:17.24.

Currently, there are eight women’s athletes in 12 events in the top five of the Big Ten rankings. Multiple athletes hold more than one position in individual events as well as one relay team placing in the top five.

Tria Simmons (2,440 points) and Jenny Kimbro (4,123) hold first and third place spots, respectively, in the pentathlon. Both Simmons and Kimbro hold second-place positions in the high jump (1.78 meters) and the 60-meter hurdles (8.27) respectively.

Simmons and Kimbro hold the first and second all-time ranks at Iowa in the pentathlon.

Kimbro noted her excitement for the Big Ten Championships, especially after just hitting the pentathlon record books a few weeks ago with Simmons.

Laulauaga Tausaga, who was recently named the National Athlete of the Week by the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association, holds a second-place spot in the weight throw (23.26) and fifth place in the shot put (16.70).

Tausaga was also named the Most Valuable Performer the same week, after her performances in the weight throw and shot put at the Frank Sevigne Invitational. She holds two records at Iowa, in the shot put (17.34) and the weight throw (23.26).

“We’re just trying to get some rhythm back in so we can really smash things at Big Tens,” Tausaga said. “It’ll be exciting to see if I can do some damage and get us a higher ranking.”

Briana Guillory remains in a second place spot in the 400 meters (52.67) and holds fourth place in the 600 meters (1:30.92). Amanda Carty also holds two spots in the top five: third place in the long jump (6.16) and fourth place in the triple jump (12.82). Aubrianna Lantrip has a spot in the top ranks as well in the high jump (1.76), while the 1,600-meter relay team consisting of Kimbro, Aly Weum, Simmons and Payton Wensel has the third-place position (3:37.94).

“Everybody is progressing in the right direction,” Director of Track and Field Joey Woody said. “We have some really good things happening and people are very confident and excited to go and we’re getting ready to roll next week.”

The Big Ten Indoor Championships will take place in Ann Arbor, Michigan, next Feb. 22-23. A week later, the Hawkeyes will take on the NCAA Indoor Championships in Birmingham, Alabama.