Hawkeye women’s track and field continues to dominate at Hawkeye Invitational

Laulauga Tausaga broke the program record in the weight throw as Iowa crowned five champions.

Iowas+Laulauga+Tausaga+competes+in+the+womens+shot+put+during+the+2018+Drake+Relays+at+Drake+Stadium+in+Des+Moines%2C+Iowa+on+Friday%2C+April+27%2C+2018.+Tausaga+finished+fifth+with+a+distance+of+15.40+meters.+

Ben Allan Smith

Iowa’s Laulauga Tausaga competes in the womens’ shot put during the 2018 Drake Relays at Drake Stadium in Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, April 27, 2018. Tausaga finished fifth with a distance of 15.40 meters.

Sydney Becker, Sports Reporter

The second indoor meet hosted by Iowa led to new records and personal bests.

The Hawkeye track and field teams hosted their second indoor home meet of the season Jan. 12, the Hawkeye Invitational.

The competition consisted of Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Iowa Central, Wichita State, Loyola, Bradley, and South Dakota.

To start the weekend, Laulauga Tausaga broke her previous weight-throw mark with a 20.67 meter throw. She earned a second win in the shot put shortly after with a throw of 16.02 meters.

“I know there’s still more in the tank, especially after I saw my warmups,” Tausaga said in a release. “I’m just trying to prepare for Big Ten Championships and get a spot on the NCAA qualifiers list.”

RELATED: Jimmy Grant Invite sets tone for the Iowa women’s track

Five others and a relay team added to the collection of wins. Jenny Kimbro took the 60-meter hurdles (8.38); she previously won at the Jimmy Grant Invitational.

Antonise Christian won the 60 meters (7.60), accomplishing a new college best. Briana Guillory took first in the 600 meters (1:30.92), and Tria Simmons won the long jump (5.68 meters, 18-7.75).

Grace McCabe took home her first college win in the 800 meters (2:12.98). The 1,600-meter relay team Kylie Morken, Jenny Kimbro, Talia Buss, and Payton Wensel defeated the field (3:45.73).

The Hawkeyes set 10 personal bests as well, including weight throws — Nia Britt (18.32 meters), Allison Wahrman (15.87 meters), and Erika Hammond (15.25 meters).

Megan Schott (4:54.96), Jordan Winke (5:10.47), and Kylie Latham (5:13.17) set personal bests in the mile, Lindsay Welker ran a 600-meter best (1:37.91), and Payton Wensel (56.61) set a 400-meter best.

The Hawkeyes will compete again at the Rec Building Jan. 18-19, when they host the Larry Wieczorek Invitational. Iowa State will return to compete in addition to Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin, Purdue, Arizona, Baylor, and Illinois.