Hawkeye women’s tennis opens 2019 at Metroplex Mania

The Iowa women’s tennis team sent some fresh faces to Dallas in hopes for better preparation before officially opening its 2019 spring championship season on Jan. 18.

Iowa+tennis+player+Elise+van+Heuvelen+celebrates+winning+a+match+during+a+match+against+Marquette+University+on+Sunday%2C+Feb.+25%2C+2018+at+the+Hawkeye+Tennis+Complex.+

David Harmantas

Iowa tennis player Elise van Heuvelen celebrates winning a match during a match against Marquette University on Sunday, Feb. 25, 2018 at the Hawkeye Tennis Complex.

Cody Smith, Sports Reporter

The Iowa women’s team struggled to pick up wins playing in the Metroplex Mania this past weekend on the SMU campus.

Head coach Sasha Schmid sent freshman Cloe Ruette, sophomores Danielle Bauers and Danielle Burich, and junior Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell to Dallas to compete in both the singles and doubles.

Although all four student-athletes came out with a sole victory in singles, only the duo of Burich and Bauers won in doubles, defeating Katie Fitt and Morgan Hall of BYU (6-1).

“I definitely thought we could have done a better job in a couple key areas today,” Iowa assistant Daniel Leitner said in a release. “We put ourselves in position to win sets but weren’t able to close them out. Hopefully, we can tighten up a couple areas before starting the season in a couple days.”

RELATED: Hawkeye tennis finishes strong in fall-season finales

Even though it wasn’t the most impressive start — going 5-13 during the weekend — the players knew they had to shake off the rust, especially van Huevelen Treadwill, who missed most of the fall season recovering from wrist surgery.

There’s little doubt whether Schmid will lean on the two-time All-Big Ten performer as she prepares to set the example for the underclassmen when they really begin the season Jan. 18 against Xavier at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.