Hawkeye women drop nail-biter to Boilermakers

Foul trouble late in the game kept Megan Gustafson sidelined as the Hawkeyes fell on the road.

Iowa forward Hannah Stewart #21 rebounds a ball late in the fourth quarter in a women's basketball game against the Nebraska Huskers at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Thursaday January 3, 2018. The Hawkeyes beat the Huskers, 77-71.

Roman Slabach

Roman Slabach

Roman Slabach

Jordan Zuniga, Sports Reporter

Iowa’s loss to Purdue was one to forget for the Hawkeyes.

After exploding into the fourth quarter on a 7-2 run to take a 48-42 lead, No. 17 Iowa (11-4, 2-2 Big Ten) faltered down the stretch giving up the lead and the game in a 62-57 loss to Purdue (11-5, 3-1 Big Ten).

A big part of Iowa’s struggles came down to foul trouble for both Hannah Stewart and Megan Gustafson, Iowa’s two leading scorers for the game.

Gustafson saw her night end after fouling out with 1:43 left in the game and her team down, 55-53, while Stewart got her fourth foul with 4:42 remaining in the fourth.

Even with the foul trouble, both Gustafson and Stewart had stellar nights in West Lafayette. Gustafson put up her trademark double-double (14th this season) with 19 points and 11 rebounds, and Stewart chipped in 17 points with 6 boards, 2 assists, and a block.

Iowa’s starting trio of guards had an off night when it came to shooting, combining to make just 6 of their 27 shots (22 percent), including a rough 3-of-17 (17.6 percent) mark from 3-point range.

Even with the tough night from the floor, the Hawkeyes found a way to get the ball down low when they needed to, with Tania Davis and Kathleen Doyle tallying 7 assists each.

Defensive rebounding also played a part in the Hawkeye loss Thursday. Iowa allowed 9 offensive rebounds, which turned into 13 Boilermaker points.

A 2-2 start might not be the way the Hawkeyes wanted to start their Big Ten campaign, but the season is still young and they’ll have a chance to start a winning streak next week when they take on No. 18 Minnesota in Minneapolis on Jan. 14 at 6 p.m.

Jordan Zuniga, Sports Reporter

Twitter: @j_zuni

Jordan Zuniga is a sports reporter at The Daily Iowan covering football. This is Zuniga's second...

• Hawkeye women drop nail-biter to Boilermakers

LinkedIn scam account impersonates UI President Bruce Harreld

Reynolds remains confident in ability to fund budget priorities

After consistent budget cuts, Reynolds proposes funding boost for Iowa regent universities

Reynolds proposes restoring voting rights to convicted felons in Condition of the State

‘The future is now,’ Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds says in Condition of the State

Partial U.S. government shutdown impacts Iowa agriculture

Football

Hockenson declares for NFL Draft

Iowa gun-rights amendment hits setback because of ‘bureaucratic oversight error’

2019 Iowa legislative session gavels in with focus on bipartisan cooperation

UI Hospitals & Clinics

Carver College of Medicine, UIHC aim to retain in-state students