Men’s basketball takes down Northwestern in road victory

Iowa (finally) notched a road victory in conference play.

Nick Rohlman

Iowa guard Joe Wieskamp dribbles the ball during Iowa’s game against Nebraska at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Sunday, January 6, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cornhuskers 93-84.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

The road troubles that plague the Iowa men’s basketball team seemingly disappeared on Wednesday, as the Hawkeyes took down Northwestern, 73-63, in Evanston, Illinois.

Tyler Cook, Iowa’s leading scorer, did not play due to injury. Despite this, the Hawkeyes came out on top.

Freshman forward Joe Wieskamp dropped a game-high 19 points, including a few baskets in a key stretch when Iowa battled back from an early Northwestern run in the second half.

The Wildcats led by seven early in the second half, but Wieskamp and Luka Garza took over.

Garza scored 16 points, and 10 of those came at the free throw line. He added 5 rebounds.

Iowa took advantage at the line, sinking 21 of 26 free throws. Northwestern forward Dererk Pardon fouled out in the second half with just more than 4 minutes remaining, and Vic Law (averaging nearly 18 points per game) battled with fouls. Law, Ryan Taylor, and Barret Benson finished with 4 fouls apiece.

Unlike in Iowa’s win over Nebraska earlier this week, Jordan Bohannon and Ryan Kriener struggled to find their rhythm from the floor.

Bohannon didn’t get his first field goal of the game until there were 3 minutes remaining, but the point guard hit a clutch shot late in the game to extend Iowa’s lead.

Meanwhile, Kriener made just one of his six field goal attempts. He finished with 2 points and 4 rebounds in his second-consecutive start.

Another positive, though, came from Nicholas Baer, who started in place of Cook. Baer flirted with a double-double, scoring 9 points and grabbing 10 rebounds.

Now, Iowa turns its attention to No. 16 Ohio State, which lost on Wednesday to Rutgers on the road. The Buckeyes travel to Carver for a 1:30 p.m. showdown on Jan. 12.