T.J. Hockenson’s NFL decision made, will announce later

The Hawkeye tight end said he knows what his plan is for next year, but he’s not giving any clues.

Nick Rohlman

Iowa tight end T.J. Hockenson runs after making a catch during Iowa’s game against Minnesota at TCF Bank Stadium on Saturday, October 6, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Golden Gophers 48-31.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

TAMPA, Fla. – T.J. Hockenson could very well have played his final game in a Hawkeye uniform.

Only the he knows, and he’s not giving too many clues as to whether or not he’s made a decision to return for another season of Iowa football or enter his name into the NFL Draft in April.

“I have an idea of what I’m going to do,” Hockenson said. “I’m going to sit on it for a few days. I’m not going to let anyone know. I think my parents may know, but I don’t know if they do yet. I’m going to sit down and talk to them and my entire family.

“Whatever happens, I love this university, I love this team. Nothing will ever change that.”

Against No. 18 Mississippi State in Iowa’s 27-22 win in the Outback Bowl, the tight end hauled in 3 passes for 43 yards, including a 22-yard tackle-breaking play.

Hockenson finished the season with 49 catches for a team-high 760 yards. He scored 6 touchdowns.

“I’m never going to forget this season,” he said. “I’m never going to forget these people.”