By the Numbers: Men’s track and field

Iowa track and field had an impressive season last year, and this season could bring more of the same.

Ben Allan Smith

Iowa track and field athletes head toward the finish line during Musco Twilight on Thursday, April 12, 2018.

Robert Read, Sports Reporter

The 2018-19 Iowa men’s indoor track and field season will hear the starter’s gun Saturday, when the Jimmy Grant Open takes place at the Recreation Building.

Last season showed signs of improvement, and that should continue to be the case this season for the team. The Hawkeyes had a number of impressive performances last season,  in the sprints, hurdles, distance, and field events, and this season could produce more of the same.

With that in mind, here are some numbers that give an idea as to how the Hawkeyes will stack up.

7 — Returning All-Americans

The Hawkeyes bring back a very capable and accomplished veteran lineup. 

Chris Douglas, DeJuan Frye, Mar’yea Harris, Collin Hofacker, Carter Lilly, Reno Tuufuli and Antonio Woodard have been recognized as All-Americans. 

Frye, Harris, Hofacker, and Woodard are sprinters who compiled a very successful 4×400 relay squad. Lilly is a returning mid-distance runner, and Douglas is a hurdler. 

Tuufuli returns as one of the best discus throwers in the nation.  A very talented freshman class, in addition to other returning runners, should make this upcoming season an exciting one.

3:06:32 — Men’s 4×400 relay

The time was fast enough to earn the 4×400 squad a victory at the 2018 Big Ten Outdoor Championships.  This winning time outpaced second-place Rutgers by under a second.

The relay comprised Frye, Harris, Hofacker, and Woodard. Frye took the lead, and Harris ran the anchor spot.

Without a doubt, the relay was a strong point for Iowa throughout the season.  All four of the members were nationally recognized for their success.

To go along with the victory at the conference outdoor meet, the relay also placed third at the Big Ten Indoors. With all four returning this season, the 4×400 should prove to be a strong point again for the Hawkeyes.

18 — Harris’ Top-10 program finishes

In his three years at Iowa, Harris has run in 18 races that rank in the top-10 best performances at Iowa. 

A member of the Big Ten champion 4×400, Harris has been a central performer on numerous 400, 800 and 1,600 relays, as well as numerous sprint medley relays that went on to post some of the fastest times in the history of the program. 

Harris still has a full senior season to add to this already impressive number.  As he continues to improve, he has a chance to cement his legacy as one of the most accomplished runners in the history of the program. More top-10 finishes seem likely to come.