Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

Steve Goddard speaks during a forum as one of four candidates for the University of Iowa's Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Voxman Concert Hall on Tuesday, October 23, 2018. Previously, Goddard has served as the Interim Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic Development for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Wyatt Dlouhy

Wyatt Dlouhy

Wyatt Dlouhy

Brooklyn Draisey, News Editor

Steve Goddard has been named the new College of Liberal Arts and Sciences dean. He will start in his new position on June 1, 2019.

Goddard is a senior associate to the vice chancellor, chair of the Department of Computer Sciences and Engineering, and a John E. Olsson Professor of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

He will succeed interim dean Joseph Kearney, a professor in the Computer Science Department and a CLAS Fellow. Kearney became interim dean in July 2018 after former dean Chaden Djalali left the UI.

Goddard was one of four finalists for the position. A search committee co-chaired by Sarah Gardial, Dean of the Henry B. Tippie College of Business, and David Ryfe, director of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, brought the candidates to campus to participate in forums and interviews.

Goddard’s appointment must be approved by the Iowa Board of Regents, who will meet for mid-year evaluations in January. His annual salary will be $372,000.

Brooklyn Draisey, News Editor

Brooklyn Draisey is a News Editors at the DI. She started at the DI her freshman year as a news reporter, covering a variety of topics.

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

Breaking News

4 UI fraternities lose registered student org status, 6 on probation

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

Breaking News

Johnson County Supervisor Kurt Friese has died

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

Breaking News

Arrest made in weekend shooting

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

Breaking News

Two injured in early morning shooting at Gilbert and Court Streets

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

Breaking News

UI student hit in motor collision

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

Breaking News

First-degree murder charge filed against undocumented immigrant in Mollie Tibbetts’ death

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

Arts

Nonbinary author Sandy Allen sparks conversation on mental health at Prairie Lights

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

Men's Basketball

Cook a question mark as Iowa travels to Penn State

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

Sports

DeSanto looks to be third Hawkeye to top Rutgers’ Suriano

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

Sports

Iowa women’s basketball displays solid midseason stats