Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

Steve Goddard speaks during a forum as one of four candidates for the University of Iowa's Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Voxman Concert Hall on Tuesday, October 23, 2018. Previously, Goddard has served as the Interim Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic Development for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Wyatt Dlouhy

Wyatt Dlouhy

Wyatt Dlouhy

Brooklyn Draisey, News Editor

Steve Goddard has been named the new College of Liberal Arts and Sciences dean. He will start in his new position on June 1, 2019.

Goddard is a senior associate to the vice chancellor, chair of the Department of Computer Sciences and Engineering, and a John E. Olsson Professor of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

He will succeed interim dean Joseph Kearney, a professor in the Computer Science Department and a CLAS Fellow. Kearney became interim dean in July 2018 after former dean Chaden Djalali left the UI.

Goddard was one of four finalists for the position. A search committee co-chaired by Sarah Gardial, Dean of the Henry B. Tippie College of Business, and David Ryfe, director of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, brought the candidates to campus to participate in forums and interviews.

Goddard’s appointment must be approved by the Iowa Board of Regents, who will meet for mid-year evaluations in January. His annual salary will be $372,000.

Brooklyn Draisey, News Editor

Brooklyn Draisey is a News Editors at the DI. She started at the DI her freshman year as a news reporter, covering...

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

Three tickets will run in this year’s UISG election

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

UI religious-studies professor assists in History Channel docu-series ‘Jesus: His Life’

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

UI announces partnership with Middle Eastern university

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

UI Urban & Regional Planning School teams up with College of Engineering on new degree

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

UI Ph.D. student fell 500 feet to his death in Utah, authorities say

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

UI Ph.D. student found dead in Utah’s Canyonlands National Park

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

UI finance students receive a new financial collaboration lab

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

UISG, GPSG oppose new bill to end on-campus voting

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

UI Ph.D. student reported missing in Utah’s Canyonlands National Park

• Steve Goddard named new CLAS dean

Second associate VP for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion candidate visits UI