Iowa City police receive report of ‘white-nationalist’ fliers on parked cars

A+University+of+Iowa+Police+Department+vehicle+is+pictured.+

Joseph Cress

A University of Iowa Police Department vehicle is pictured.

Iowa City police have received a report of white-nationalist fliers being distributed in a parking garage.

In a press release, Sgt. Derek Frank, the police public-information officer, said the fliers were distributed on cars at the Dubuque Street parking ramp on Nov. 1. The fliers read, “It’s OK to be white.” No other words were displayed, the press release said.

“Although this type of language may be considered offensive, unwelcoming, and goes against our values as an inclusive community, it is protected by the First Amendment and does not meet the legal definition of a hate crime,” the press release said.

The press release said if people have information related to the incident or similar ones, they should call 319-356-6800.

On Nov. 1, numerous instances of vandalism were reported at the University of Iowa Communication Center, which houses Military and Veteran Student Services.

Iowa State experienced similar instances of “It’s OK to be white” graffiti last week. The messages on Iowa State’s campus were often coupled with words of encouragement for Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, who has vocally supported white nationalists in the past few weeks.

“Other universities around the United States have had “It’s OK to be white” fliers, including Tufts, Harvard, the University of Vermont, among others,” the Iowa State Daily reported. “The signs and slogans are reportedly linked to white-nationalist groups, originating from the online message board 4chan.”