Report Card: How did the Hawkeyes do against the Terrapins?

Iowa’s defense earned its best grade of the season in a shutout of Maryland.

Katie Goodale

Terrapin Tyrrell Pigrome fumbles the ball during the Iowa vs. Maryland game at Kinnick stadium on Saturday Oct. 20, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Terrapins 23-0.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Offense: B- 

Well, Iowa had only one offensive touchdown on Oct. 20, and the passing game never really found any rhythm, but chalk that up mainly to adverse weather. The wind made throwing more than 15-20 yards downfield nearly impossible, so Iowa turned to its ground game, and it paid off.

The Hawkeye offensive line looked as good as ever in the running game, tallying 224 yards on the ground. Ivory Kelly-Martin was almost Iowa’s first 100-yard rusher of the season, but he fell 2 yards short in the best game of his career.

Defense: A+

Well, shutting out an opponent has to be good for something, right?

Iowa’s defense limited Maryland to just 39 plays (the fewest in the Ferentz era), 115 yards (the fewest under Ferentz against a Big Ten team), and 2.9 yards per play.

Oh, and Iowa scored a touchdown via the defense; Anthony Nelson’s fumble recovery in the end zone effectively hammered the final nail into Maryland’s coffin.

Ty Johnson, one of the Big Ten’s most explosive playmakers, finished with 4 rushes for 15 yards and 2 receptions for 2 yards, and he returned 2 kickoffs for 42 yards — he had virtually no impact on the game.

Special Teams: A

Miguel Recinos completed a hat-trick — he was a perfect 3-for-3 in the field-goal department in a game in which the wind was his biggest opponent. His three kicks were a career-best.

Meanwhile, Colten Rastetter had a pair of punts, both of which bounced inside Maryland’s 20-yard line. He didn’t punt often, because Iowa’s offense moved well, but his boots proved pivotal in controlling the Hawkeyes’ field position.