Hawkeyes react to Brandon Smith’s epic catch

Brandon Smith pulled in one of the best catches you’ll see all year when Iowa topped Minnesota, 48-31.

Nick Rohlman

Iowa wide receiver Brandon Smith talks with teammates in the huddle during Iowa’s game against Northern Illinois at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, September 1, 2018. during Iowa’s game against Northern Illinois at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, September 1, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Huskies 33-7.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

In the third quarter of Iowa’s 48-31 victory over border-rival Minnesota,  the Hawkeyes faced a third-and-3 at the Gopher 45-yard line.

Hawkeye quarterback Nate Stanley took a snap in the shotgun and, with a defender charging his way, lobbed a pass down the sidelines to receiver Brandon Smith. Smith had a step on his defender, but Stanley’s pass was a little short.

Smith adjusted, leaping and stretching his arms behind Minnesota’s Terell Shorts to secure a circus catch and leave fans speechless. Smith’s catch not only made the “SportCenter” Top 10 plays, it gained the recognition of his teammates and coaches.

Kirk Ferentz

Head coach

“I haven’t seen him do in practice, either, so it was really good. That was a really hard play. It was a great play. That to me is like, OK, now we’re starting to go somewhere.”

Nate Stanley

Quarterback

“Anytime there’s a 50-50 ball, a lot of the times he comes down with it or he makes a really great play on the ball. He’s always got a shot to make those plays.”

Nick Easley

Wide receiver

“I was going crazy, yelling because he got a flag. I didn’t even see he caught it at first because I was on the other side of the field. I just saw the dude all over him. Then I saw he caught it… he jumped over the dude.”