Hawkeyes react to Brandon Smith’s epic catch

Brandon Smith pulled in one of the best catches you'll see all year when Iowa topped Minnesota, 48-31.

Iowa wide receiver Brandon Smith talks with teammates in the huddle during Iowa's game against Northern Illinois at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, September 1, 2018. during Iowa's game against Northern Illinois at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, September 1, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Huskies 33-7.

Nick Rohlman

Nick Rohlman

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

In the third quarter of Iowa’s 48-31 victory over border-rival Minnesota,  the Hawkeyes faced a third-and-3 at the Gopher 45-yard line.

Hawkeye quarterback Nate Stanley took a snap in the shotgun and, with a defender charging his way, lobbed a pass down the sidelines to receiver Brandon Smith. Smith had a step on his defender, but Stanley’s pass was a little short.

Smith adjusted, leaping and stretching his arms behind Minnesota’s Terell Shorts to secure a circus catch and leave fans speechless. Smith’s catch not only made the “SportCenter” Top 10 plays, it gained the recognition of his teammates and coaches.

Kirk Ferentz

Head coach

“I haven’t seen him do in practice, either, so it was really good. That was a really hard play. It was a great play. That to me is like, OK, now we’re starting to go somewhere.”

Nate Stanley

Quarterback

“Anytime there’s a 50-50 ball, a lot of the times he comes down with it or he makes a really great play on the ball. He’s always got a shot to make those plays.”

Nick Easley

Wide receiver

“I was going crazy, yelling because he got a flag. I didn’t even see he caught it at first because I was on the other side of the field. I just saw the dude all over him. Then I saw he caught it… he jumped over the dude.”

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Adam Hensley is the current Pregame Editor at the DI, covering football, men’s basketball, and baseball. Formerly the DI Sports Editor, Hensley has been on staff for all four years of his time at the University of Iowa, covering a wide range of sports, including cross-country, track and field, and women’s basketball.

• Hawkeyes react to Brandon Smith’s epic catch

Football

Stanley’s 6-touchdown performance garners awards

Football

Report Card: How did the Hawkeyes do against the Hoosiers?

Football

Hawkeye offense shows improvement halfway through season

Football

Hensley: Hawkeye football’s offense in uncharted territory

Football

Iowa QB Nate Stanley earns Walter Camp Player of the Week honors

Balanced Hawkeye offense leads Iowa in dominant win over Indiana

Hawkeyes riding Stanley’s hot hand

Hawkeyes thump Hoosiers, 42-16

Football

Photos: Iowa at Indiana (10/13/18)

Halftime reactions – Iowa vs. Indiana