Report card: How did Iowa do against Minnesota?

Nick Rohlman

Iowa tight end T.J. Hockenson scores on a fake field goal during Iowa’s game against Minnesota at TCF Bank Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 6, 2018.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Offense — B+

Nate Stanley spread the ball around, connected on longer throws down the field, and threw a season-high 4 touchdowns. Not too bad, considering Iowa had nothing going on the ground.

Still, his interception before halftime was mind-boggling. His ball really wasn’t targeting a single receiver (except the Minnesota defender). That led to 7 Gopher points, and so did his fumble in the second half.

Defense — B-

Well, Minnesota, led by a true freshman quarterback, put up 31 points against arguably one of the better defenses in the nation.

Iowa’s pass rush looked strong at times, as Anthony Nelson had 3 sacks, but it also gave Zack Annexstad time, and he was able to pick on freshman cornerback Riley Moss.

All in all, Moss and Julius Brents looked solid. Moss gave up a few big plays (a 34-yard catch and then a touchdown a few plays later), but the pair made up for it by combining for 3 interceptions in their starting débuts.

Special Teams — A

New Kirk was in full effect. That fake field goal was just as odd as it was beautiful, and it worked to perfection (while also putting the Hawkeyes up, 21-7).

Twice Colten Rastetter pinned Minnesota inside its own 20, and he had a game-best 47-yard boot as well.

Miguel Recinos finished a perfect 2-for-2 in the field-goal department, making kicks from 40 and 20 yards, respectively.

Add Ihmir Smith-Marsette’s 49-yard kickoff return, and you’ve got the grades for success.