This Week in Photos (10/5/18)

DI Photo Staff

Every week, Daily Iowan photo editors select a series of photographs that represents both the major news of the week as well as the best photography from the photo staff as a whole. The photo staff is part of a strong tradition of visual storytelling at the DI.

• A participant in an eating contest at the Northside Oktoberfest in Iowa City eyes his competition on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018. Participants had to eat a scotch egg and a bratwurst.

• Cyclists compete in the Men's category 1 through 3 race during Jingle Cross Cyclo-Cross festival on Sept. 29, 2018.

• Apollo catches a frisbee thrown by Jennifer McCarron in Hubbard Park on Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018. McCarron brings Apollo to Hubbard Park because it's on campus and a good excuse to get outside.

• The United States' Kaitlin Keough celebrates after the UCI Elite Cyclo-Cross World Cup at the Jingle Cross Cyclo-Cross festival on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018. Keough won the race for her first UCI world cup victory.

Nick Rohlman

• Artist Sayuri Sasaki Hemann stands in front of the "Coexist" mural on Washington Street on Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018. Hemann directed young artists from the United Action for Youth to help create this work of art.

• Wang Yizhe was performing Jazz dance in the Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival in IMU on Sunday, Sept. 30, 2018

Gaoyuan Pan

• Actors rehearse during a dress rehearsal of Northanger Abbey at the UI Theatre building on Oct. 1, 2018. Northanger Abbey opens on Oct. 5 and will run through Oct. 13.

Megan Nagorzanski

• The Depaysement performs at Gabe's on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018. The Depaysement are a Japanese funk-rock band. Gabe's was the third stop on their "X-Files" tour.

• The Old Capitol building is seen on Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2018. International light artist Gerry Hofstetter chose the building as a backdrop to feature artwork included in his “Light Art Grand Tour USA.”

• Swimmers compete in the 200 meter Freestyle during the Iowa Swimming and Diving Intrasquad Meet at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018.

• Iowa sophomore Brett Permann tees off during the Diane Thomason Invitational at Finkbine Golf Course on Sept. 30, 2018.The Hawkeyes placed first overall.

Megan Nagorzansk

• A volunteer scorekeeper watches play during the Diane Thomason Invitational at Finkbine Golf Course on Sept. 30, 2018.The Hawkeyes placed first overall.

Megan Nagorzansk

• Terry Trueblood Recreation Area is seen on Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018. The area is currently seeking volunteers to help remove the invasive Honeysuckle. Individuals will gather from noon to 3 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 7, 21, and 28.

• Students at the University of Iowa College of Law protest Brett Kavanaugh's nomination to the United States Supreme Court in front of the Boyd Law Building on Friday, Sept. 28, 2018.

• Anastacia Renee spoke during the Prairie Lights reading on Oct. 2, 2018. The well-known, civic poet read from her collections.

Chris Kalous

• UI graduate art student Serena Stevens brainstorms painting ideas in the Visual Arts Building on Thursday, Oct. 4, 2018. "My work is mostly collage based," Stevens said. "I like to paint what is important to me."

• Newly elected City Councilor Bruce Teague speaks to supporters at Billy's High Hat Diner on Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018. Teague defeated Ann Freerks 54.3 to 45.3 percent in a special election for Iowa City City Council's vacant seat.

Facebook Comments