Hawkeye soccer prepares for conference-leading Nebraska

The Hawkeyes hit the road once again to take on Big Ten-leading Nebraska.

Freshman+Skylar+Alward+dribbles+the+ball+during+the+Iowa+vs.+Purdue+soccer+game+on+Sept.+20%2C+2018+at+the+Iowa+Soccer+Complex+in+Iowa+City.+Iowa+tied+Purdue+1-1+in+overtime.+
Freshman Skylar Alward dribbles the ball during the Iowa vs. Purdue soccer game on Sept. 20, 2018 at the Iowa Soccer Complex in Iowa City. Iowa tied Purdue 1-1 in overtime.

Katie Goodale

Katie Goodale

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa soccer will try to win its first road game of the season when it travels to No. 22 Nebraska today.

The Huskers lead the Big Ten with a record of 8-3-3, including an unbeaten 4-0-2 mark in conference play.

It is Iowa’s third-consecutive road game, having previously lost to Ohio State and Penn State, 2-0, in both battles.

Iowa’s defense has been relatively solid through 13 games, giving up 16 goals. Its offense, though, has lagged behind slightly, scoring 14 goals for a goal differential of minus-2.

Despite losing in the past two games, Iowa has shown potential. When the Hawkeyes played Indiana on Sept. 23, they picked up a 3-1 win with goals from three players.

RELATED: Iowa soccer falls at Penn State

Iowa started the season, 4-0-1, but fell off once conference play started, only winning one Big Ten game and recording a record of 1-4-1.

Nebraska, on the other hand, has been stellar offensively. The Huskers are tied for fourth in the conference with 22 goals scored.

Nebraska is led by a two-headed monster offensively. Faith Carter has scored 8 goals this season, and Savanah Uveges has 7 along with 4 assists. Iowa will not want to foul the Huskers in the box, because Uveges has converted all 4 of her penalty attempts.

Goalkeeper Aubrei Corder has recorded 38 saves and has a goal-against average of 1.38.

The Huskers won their previous four games before tying Ohio State, 1-1, in their most recent match, on Sunday.

After taking on Nebraska, the Hawkeyes will return to the Iowa Soccer Complex to take on Michigan State on Oct. 12 and Michigan on Oct. 14.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Pete Ruden is the Sports Editor at the DI, where he has worked since the beginning of his college career. He has covered a variety of sports at the DI, including football, men’s basketball, baseball, wrestling, and men’s tennis. Currently a junior, he served as a sports reporter his freshman year, before becoming the Assistant Sports Editor his sophomore year.

• Hawkeye soccer prepares for conference-leading Nebraska

Soccer

Hawkeye soccer sweeps state of Michigan

Multimedia

Photos: Soccer vs. Michigan (10/14/18)

Soccer

Iowa soccer in a scramble for the postseason

Soccer

Iowa soccer wins in an upset against No. 22 Nebraska

Soccer

Iowa tennis, with new players, ready for new experience

Soccer

Iowa soccer falls at Penn State

Soccer

Iowa soccer begins road trip with loss to Ohio State

Soccer

Iowa soccer ships out for second road trip

Soccer

By the Numbers: Iowa soccer’s defense

Soccer

Iowa soccer tops Indiana for first Big Ten win