Iowa swimming and diving tops Michigan State before Intrasquad

The Hawkeye men and women both beat the Spartans before battling each other.

Swimmers line up on the blocks during the Iowa Swimming and Diving Intrasquad Meet at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018.

Shivansh Ahuja

Shivansh Ahuja

Shivansh Ahuja

Tanner DesPlanque, Sports Reporter

Hawkeye swimming and diving hosted its Intraquad Meet Sept. 29 after a successful meet against Michigan State. The Hawkeyes did not slow down in their Intrasquad meet either.

The men topped Michigan State in 15-of-16 events, winning 193-98, while the women won 13-of-16 events against the Spartans for a 160-138 win.

RELATED: Photos: Iowa Swimming and Diving Intrasquad meet

It was a big day for freshmen, as Mateusz Arndt and Anze Fers Erzen combined for five wins.

“It was great to see our men step up, perform, and earn a Big Ten win after putting in such strong training and preparation this month,” head coach Marc Long said in a release. “It was also a special because we were able to see the freshmen race for the first time as Hawkeyes and to see others compete in events they don’t normally swim.”

The women also had a good day with Hannah Burvill, Allyssa Fluit, and Kelsey Drake all posting three individual wins.

“I’m proud of our women’s team for coming together and earning a Big Ten win on the road,” Long said in a release. “They accepted the challenge, sometimes competing in events they don’t normally swim, to get a Hawkeye win. It was a positive, enthusiastic atmosphere and that is contagious. There is no doubt that we will build off this weekend.”

At the Intrasquad meet, the Black team was the victor, as it displayed its talents to beat the Gold, 129-84. The Black team started with victories in both the men’s and women’s 200-medley relays.

The relay team of Kenneth Mende, Joe Myhre, Jack Smith, and Daniel Swanepoel finished with a time of 1:31.76. The women’s relay of Burvill, Lexi Horner, Amy Lenderink, and Sarah Schemmel completed the relay in a time of 1:47.26.

Burvill started the individual events with a win in the 200 freestyle with a finishing time of 1:52.42. Sophomore teammate Drake tallied two victories herself, winning in the 200 IM (2:07.39) and 100 fly (56.32).

Some of the standouts in male individual events were Arndt and junior Michael Tenney. Arndt won in the 200 IM (1:40.95) and 500 free (4:33.75), while Tenney swam two victories in the 200 IM (1:52.59) and 100 fly (51.13).

Four Hawkeye women will be heading to Dallas, Texas, to compete in the SMU Classis on Oct 12. Then both the men and women Hawkeyes will be heading to Minneapolis October 27, to take on Minnesota and South Dakota State.

• Iowa swimming and diving tops Michigan State before Intrasquad

Iowa basketball’s Cordell Pemsl undergoes season-ending surgery

Hawkeye football’s Nate Stanley won’t seek NFL feedback

Iowa women’s hoops crushes Northern Iowa for second in-state win

Hawkeyes display defensive dominance in win over Panthers

Photos: Iowa men’s basketball vs. UNI in the Hyvee Classic

Tyler Cook and Company coast in Des Moines

Football

Iowa football report card: Quarterbacks

Football

Iowa football report card: Special teams

Men's Basketball

Hawkeye men’s hoops readies for final Hy-Vee Classic battle against Panthers

Sports

Schedule tightens up for Iowa women’s basketball