Guest Opinion: Support your passion through philanthropy

John Culshaw shares how the UI Libraries inspired him to become a librarian himself. He encourages everyone to donate to the parts of the UI that they are passionate about.

“Phil Was Here” tags identify buildings and programs on campus in honor of Phil’s Day on May 1, 2014. Phil’s Day is brought to you by the University of Iowa Foundation and the foundation’s Student Philanthropy Group. (Daily Iowan/Allison Orvis)

As a college student in the mid-1980s, I spent a lot of time in my university’s library. Like many librarians, my career started as a student worker in my undergraduate library, where I experienced the technological transformation in libraries firsthand.

My library experience was very different back then. There were card catalogues to maintain, piles of books waiting to be reshelved, barcode stickers to apply to all books in advance of a new online checkout system, and a new Macintosh computer with its signature startup chime. Little did I know, especially as a first-generation college student, how all of these things would shape my future.

The library was the first academic community that I knew. My supervisors became my role models and mentors. Were it not for these experiences and these people, I wouldn’t be in the position I am today.

That’s why I give.

Looking for a direct way to support our student employees, the UI Libraries launched the Libraries’ Student Employee Scholarship in 2015. Over the last century, more than 14,000 University of Iowa alumni have worked as students in the UI Libraries. These workers followed a countless number of career paths as Iowa alumni — and many became librarians.

I give to the Libraries’ Student Employee Scholarship Program because I deeply value the many contributions student workers make to the UI Libraries. I believe in the importance of helping them succeed in academics, in work, and in life. Through our scholarship program, every UI Libraries staff member has the opportunity to support our student employees. I’m so proud of how our staff has embraced the program. I’m grateful to the families of former UI Libraries employees who have given significantly to ensure this program affects generations of students to come.

Philanthropy is critical to other work we do in the UI Libraries. Gifts made by the Friends of the Libraries support leadership-development opportunities for our staff. These gifts also help us innovate and improve access to information for our students, faculty, and community. External support also allows us to share our collections through educational exhibits and events in our libraries and around the state.

I give to the Friends of the UI Libraries because all of these things keep libraries vital in the 21st century.

I encourage you to join me in supporting whatever part of the UI inspires your passion.

— John Culshaw, Jack B. King University Librarian