Your Smith brought emotion, sincerity, and feminine energy to the Mill

Your Smith put on an intimate show at the Mill Thursday night.

Your+Smith+performs+at+The+Mill+on+Thursday%2C+September+20%2C+2018.+Their+latest++EP+titled+Bad+Habit+released+on+August+24%2C+2018%2C+and+they+are+working+on+another.+

Wyatt Dlouhy

Your Smith performs at The Mill on Thursday, September 20, 2018. Their latest EP titled “Bad Habit” released on August 24, 2018, and they are working on another.

Troy Aldrich, Arts Reporter

Your Smith’s dedication to her fans had spread beyond the local environs when she brought her new act to the Mill on Sept. 20.

Following a name change and relocation to Los Angeles, Smith produced a new sound closer to post-disco dance pop than the traditional singer/songwriter folk that is synonymous with her former self, Caroline.

During her set at the Mill, Smith played tracks from her 2013 release, Half About Being a Woman, with a new energy that only Your Smith and her female-only band could create. This became clear when Smith played the title track to her 2013 release.

“I want to have a Sinatra moment with you,” she said. “Does anyone have a cigarette? It’s not a Sinatra moment without a cigarette.”

The intimate space led to a strong rendition of the ballad, and Smith could have used a stage to herself when trying to show the Mill the dance moves of her music videos — specifically, those from her new EP, Bad Habit.

The audience on the dance floor made up for the lack of space on the stage. The members crowded stage center as Smith continued the set, sharing lyrics with the band leader on the familiar tunes “Bloodstyle” and “Debbie.”

As Smith neared the end of the set, she didn’t look to her older music to carry her fans to the end. Instead, a new tune, which she wrote during a drug-induced experience in Nicaragua, had the audience jumping from the dance floor to the bar.

The energy flowed immediately into the final track, “The Spot.” The groovy tune forces a head bob and slide step (at the very least a tapping toe), bringing audience members out of their booths and barstools.

The groove carried beyond the lyrics as Smith paid thanks to her band members: Steph Barker on drums, Nylo on keys, and Liv Slingerland on bass.

Immediately following the exit, fans chanted “Encore,” as opposed to the customary clap and whistle to elicit the return of the band.

Smith returned for a solo set, elected to use an acoustic guitar, and returned to a vintage version of herself associated with “The Good Night Sleeps.”

A Michael Wainwright tune along with “Child of Moving On” provided a heart-warming ending to the evening as Smith left the audience with a wave and a smile.

Fellow Los Angeles musician Baum opened for Smith. The solo artist combines emotional lyrics with a West Coast energetic dance-pop.

Baum was very effective as an opener, calling the sober audience to the dance floor. The performance of her tune “This Body” led to a rowdy, dancing crowd, that flooded the space.

The dance-filled tunes turned ballads mid-set when she covered Bon Iver’s tune “Creeks.” The on-stage performance was a powerful rendition, using two microphones and synthesizer.

Following the song, she performed a few newer tunes written only weeks before the performance.

“I’m going to play a personal one,” Baum said. “I wrote this song recently, and it’s scary as f*** to sing.”

Her moving performance of “Bad Kid” was Baum at her best, showing the audience her vocal ability, full of visible sincerity.

Baum is working on another EP before releasing her first full-length album. This is her first tour spanning the United States toward her hometown, New York City.