Lake Street Dive set to return to a sold-out Englert

The band will return Sept. 3rd for the first time in 2 years.

People enter The Englert Theatre for comedian, Margaret Cho's stand-up during Mission Creek Festival on Thursday, April 6, 2017. (The Daily Iowan/Ben Smith)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

Troy Aldrich, Arts Reporter

As Lake Street Dive embarks on its second tour of 2018, the band didn’t forget to include its home in flyover country. During part two of the band’s “Free Yourself Up” tour, Lake Street will visit a sold-out Englert on Sept. 3.

Iowa City last saw Lake Street in 2016 following the release of its third album, Side Pony. The band played for a sold-out Englert audience almost exactly two years ago.

“We have been working with the band since its early days, when it played much smaller shows,” said Englert head Andre Perry in a 2016 interview with The Daily Iowan. “[The members] were just as passionate about the music then as they are now. It is an honor to bring the band back.”

Since then, the group has continued to mature with the release of its newest album, Free Yourself Up. The album débuted at No. 8 in the Billboard Top 200 and led to a host of late-night appearances on shows such as “The Late Show” with Stephen Colbert, Letterman, Ellen, the “Today Show,” “CBS Saturday,” and many more.

The album is a sequel to the band’s 2014 full-length release, Bad Self Portraits. Fans finally received a end to the story of “Bobby,” which had been a piece of Lake Street’s songwriting narrative originally introduced during the release of the band’s self-titled album in 2010.

The band joined in a collaborative effort to write the songs for the new album, which it went on to produce itself. The process has led to Lake Street’s truest form yet, as it continues to elaborate on the soul its fans fell in love with nearly a decade ago.

Iowa City’s James Tutson will open for Lake Street. The singer/songwriter brings a refreshing gospel tone to acoustic arrangements on his full-length album, On Me. Tutson’s opening set should set a familiar tone for the latter portion of the bill.

• Lake Street Dive set to return to a sold-out Englert

Theater

UI alumna turns oral histories of Muslims in Iowa City into a play

Arts

Swipe Right: The dating game of the 21st century

Arts

The jewelry maker who has traveled the world

Arts

Iowa City female business owners, from froyo to retail

Arts

Fab Four twists and shouts its way to Englert

Arts

UI artist explores the hereditary nature of mental illness

Arts

Review: Lego Movie 2 makes a two-hour commercial fun

Arts

UI Museum of Natural History holds tranquil ‘Art Nite’

Arts

‘Jazz in the Fight for Civil Rights’ discussed the music genre’s role in activism

Multimedia

Photos: Department of Dance Faculty/Graduate Concert (2/5/19)