The nation reacts to the death of Mollie Tibbetts

UI student Mollie Tibbetts, who had been missing for over a month, was found dead in a cornfield in rural Iowa on Tuesday.

contributed

contributed

Katelyn Weisbrod, Managing Editor

Americans around the nation are taking to social media, reacting to the ending to the search for University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts.

Tibbetts, who had been missing since July 18, was found dead in a cornfield outside her hometown of Brooklyn, Iowa, on Tuesday morning. Cristhian Bahena Rivera, 24, was charged with first-degree murder after he was questioned and led investigators to her body.

RELATED: First-degree murder charge filed against undocumented immigrant in Mollie Tibbetts’ death

Several different University of Iowa organizations and leaders expressed their sorrows and condolences on Twitter throughout the day on Tuesday. Tibbetts, who would have started her sophomore year on Monday, was involved with Dance Marathon and worked at the Eckstein Medical Research Building café.

UI Student Government and Dance Marathon will host a vigil on Wednesday at 7 p.m. in Hubbard Park for the student body to gather and remember Tibbetts.

Political leaders and candidates in this upcoming election season have also taken to Twitter to share their thoughts and, for some, their stances on the circumstances that lead to the end of the month-long search for Tibbetts.