Fashion Circus to pitch its tent at IC Block Party

NICK ROHLMAN
A model walks in the Fashion 500 fashion show during the Iowa City Downtown District Block Party on Saturday June 25, 2017. The Block Party, hosted by the ICDD was the first use of Iowa City’s changed rules allowing open containers for select events downtown (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

The Iowa City Block Party will feature a Fashion Circus on Saturday to showcase designers and share an energetic experience similar to attending a circus.

The experience will share the colorful work of designers such as Andre Wright, Olivia Lusala, Zach Owens, Morgan Ann LaRue, and Caroline Edmunds-Diez. The show will also have performers from the Eastern Iowa Circus Collective interspersed to entertain the audience with their creative expression.

The Fashion Circus was created by Born Leaders United founder Andre Wright to produce an unexpected night of wild entertainment. Wright has put on fashion shows in the Iowa City community in the past, but he believes the Fashion Circus is set to be the most extravagant show yet.

“I think people are going to be surprised by the production level that we have taken it to, and if you saw the Fashion 500 last year, then seeing this will be even more exciting,” Wright said.

The inspiration for the Fashion Circus came to Wright while walking down the colorful streets of Europe. He said he tries to find a different theme for every show in order to keep the brand fresh and unique.

Wright’s mission for the fashion show is to support people with passion to lead in their respected fields and put out a positive brand to the world. His goal is to highlight the designers and create an entertaining community development.

Each designer will produce original pieces specific for the Fashion Circus. Wright described the clothing as “wild, energetic, eerie, and unexpected.”

Wright said he enjoys the receptive and creative vibe of members in Iowa City and cannot wait to showcase the imaginative performance.

“The outfits are really wild and crazy, and it’s a celebration of having fun and what better place to do that than the Downtown Iowa City Block Party,” Wright said.

Lindsey Moon, the founder of the Eastern Iowa Circus Collective, and aerialist Mimi Ke have rehearsed original work for the show, and they hope to get more recognition for their art in the Iowa City community.

The Fashion Circus will have performers such as aerial artists, jugglers, hula-hoopers, fire performers, and acro yogis.

“Mimi will be doing an aerial silks piece, I will be doing fire eating — weather permitting — and there will be people with LED hula hoops and LED Poi,” Moon said.

The event is free to the public, but tickets are available for $18 for VIP seating, a bag of popcorn, a $10 CHOMP delivery access code, a free calzone from D.P. Dough, and access to the after-party.