Jaimes: Reynolds faces criticism for response to sexual-harassment scandal

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Ben A
Kim Reynolds talks at Hy-Vee in Coralville during her 99 Counties tour on Thursday, April 5, 2018. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

On March 24, Gov. Kim Reynolds made it known that she would terminate the employment of Iowa Finance Authority Director David Jamison. She recently readdressed the issue in a letter and described how she had to fire the director because of his inappropriate behavior.

The list of concerns from anonymous female state employees include Jamison regularly talking about his sex life, attempting to get the female employee to stay in his hotel room during business trips, making lewd comments, and threatening others in the event that they should report him for making tasteless comments.

Overall, the detailed list of irresponsible actions taken by Jamison proved that he was unfit for his role as a state agency director. He was fired from his position less than 24 hours after a complaint was made to the governor.

RELATED: Photos: Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds Condition of the State address (01/09/17)

In a letter to the Des Moines Register, Reynolds explained the situation in which she rightfully fired an employee. She stated that two women reported very credible allegations of sexual harassment, with one of those women handing over a sealed letter detailing the extent of the issue at hand. She thoroughly explains her decision on keeping the identity of the women private, by making it clear that “we cannot forget about the victims. We cannot forget that this is their story to tell.”

In January, in her Condition of the State speech, Reynolds was quoted saying, “I commend the number of women who have found the courage to speak out. As a woman, a mother of three girls, a grandmother, wife, sister, and daughter, I understand we’re at an unprecedented moment in time” on the topic of sexual harassment. She proved her dedication to her role as head of state when she lived by the words she proudly spoke on that January day. She showed no tolerance for such an act, even when the accused was an alleged friend of hers.

RELATED: Rosario: Gov. Reynolds calls liberals ‘unhinged,’ highlighting ableism in politics

This news struck many as unbelievable. They were not in disbelief of the actions of Jamison but those of the female governor. In a cognitive-dissonance-filled frenzy, Iowa Democrats insist on making mountains out of molehills by suggesting that the governor was malicious in redacting the written complaint of the violated female employee.

Reynolds explains in her letter to the Register that she could not release the complaint because it would give away the identity of the harassed employee, and the discovery of her identification should be on the victim’s terms. Her dedication to protecting the victims of serious, credible harassment has the Democratic Governors Association wondering why “Gov. Kim Reynolds can’t get her story straight on sexual-harassment allegations in her administration.”

It is clear why this is such a concern to Iowa Democrats … A Republican woman cannot be credited with the removal of a toxic man. This was their movement. Only they were allowed to expose sexual harassers, as they did with Harvey Weinstein, Louis C.K., and Matt Lauer in the #MeToo movement. They would rather have a victim be further bullied than have a governor who lives up to her word. They would rather place partisanship over the safety of an innocent woman.