UI Trans Alliance aims to create inclusiveness on campus, by organizing events for Trans Week of Actions

An attendee looks at a sign during Action Stations for UI Trans Week of Action at the Wesley Center on April 23, 2018.  Members of the UI Trans Alliance talked with the public about various issues that affect the trans community. (Katina Zentz/The Daily Iowan)

An attendee looks at a sign during Action Stations for UI Trans Week of Action at the Wesley Center on April 23, 2018. Members of the UI Trans Alliance talked with the public about various issues that affect the trans community. (Katina Zentz/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Katin

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Katin

Aadit Tambe, [email protected]

The University of Iowa Trans Alliance kicked off its third-annual Trans Week of Action, a week of events aimed at creating a more inclusive community supporting transgender individuals on campus.

Trans Alliance is organizing four events from Monday through Thursday to create awareness about the transgender community and make sure allies are better informed.

“It is a week about actions being taken and being supportive from outside the community informing people about trans issues,” said Sean Finn, a former president of the Trans Alliance.

The week is important to build community and for trans people to connect and with allies and feel supported, he said.

“It is a really good way for allies of the transgender community to learn more and support individuals and the community at large,” said Andrew Crowley, the president of the Trans Alliance.

He stressed the importance of creating events that are inclusive for all on campus, and Trans Week of Action is no exception.

“This week is important because it creates awareness and education, [and] encourages people who don’t have a lot of knowledge to learn about different things and take action and educate others in easy ways,” said Dawn Bates, an adviser for Trans Alliance and an embedded staff therapist at Residence Education.

The week’s events kicked off on Monday with Action Stations, an event at the Wesley Center designed to educate allies and make them aware about the community by holding discussions about pronouns and nonbinary identities.

Today’s event, Game Night Social, will take place at the LGBTQ Resource Center and provide a laid-back atmosphere that strives for community building, Crowley said.

Trans Alliance will co-host an event along with One Iowa Action to support LGBTQ Iowans and allies to speak publicly and start meaningful dialogues about the LGBTQ community. It will take place on Wednesday in the IMU.

The Trans Week of Action will end on Thursday with Student Educational, an information session about transgender and nonbinary identities and ways to become a better ally.

“There are a lot more students who identify as transgender, gender-fluid, and agender on campus who may experience discrimination or experiences consequences like being misgendered,” Bates said.

It is important to raise awareness and make people feel they are a part of the campus community, Crowley said. Events like these help in creating a fostering a feeling of inclusion and acceptance.

• UI Trans Alliance aims to create inclusiveness on campus, by organizing events for Trans Week of Actions

UI-led study discusses brain marker associated with aggression in children

The roots for students to flourish: After 50 years, Afro House remains necessary

Hawkeye football superfans show front row pride

UI facilities assess, prepare for climate change

USA Today names the UI as a university where ‘applications are on the rise’

Nite Ride improves service with new advancements

Updated approval process makes it easier to use drones on campus

UI’s tobacco ban difficult to enforce as students continue to smoke on campus

Homecoming Council strives for inclusivity through new initiatives

Second of 4 College of Liberal Arts and Sciences dean candidates holds forum