Rowing downs Michigan State, upsets Michigan

Iowa's rowing team practices on the Iowa River on Friday, Sept. 15, 2017. The rowing team recently finalized their schedule, with two home competitions on Oct. 6 and 7. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

James Geerdes, [email protected]

Iowa crews took to the waters of Belleville Lake in Wayne County, Michigan, to compete at the Big Ten Double Dual on April 7 with No. 18 Michigan State and No. 6 Michigan.

In the morning session, only one varsity boat — the Third Varsity 4 — lost to Michigan State. The Second Varsity 4 crossed the finish line more than six seconds ahead of Michigan State’s boat, while the First Varsity Four crossed five seconds ahead.

Varsity 8 boats fared well against the Spartans as well. The Second Varsity 8 won its race by a dominating margin of 13 seconds, and the First Varsity 8 crossed 10 seconds ahead of its Spartan counterpart.

In a much closer matchup with a talented Michigan squad, Iowa boats split races. The First Varsity 4 crew dropped a race, and then, in the closest race of the day, the Second Varsity 8 crew was edged by 0.3 seconds. In the final race of the day, the First Varsity 8 crew crossed more than 12 seconds ahead of the Wolverines, capping the weekend with a win.

“Overall, this was a good day for our program,” head coach Andrew Carter said in a release. “We showed really well against two ranked teams, so we’ll feel good about that on the trip home.”

Iowa will race next in Princeton, New Jersey, on Saturday to compete with Princeton and Yale.

James Geerdes, Sports Reporter

James “Jim” Geerdes is a sports reporter, digital producer, and designer. He is currently  a sophomore. He spent his freshman year covering wresting,...

• Rowing downs Michigan State, upsets Michigan

Rowing

Iowa rowing’s first varsity eight looks to fill seats

Rowing

Iowa rowing set for first fall scrimmage

Rowing

The steady progression of Iowa rowing

Rowing

Iowa rowing stays hot at the Henley

Rowing

Hawkeye crews aim at new opportunity, new continent

Rowing

A river of opportunity

Rowing

Rowing breaks school record, places 11th at Nationals

Rowing

Iowa rowing qualifies for nationals

Rowing

Battle-hardened and ready for Big Ten

Rowing

Iowa rowing finds out where it stands