Wilson sentenced to 24 years in prison

The convicted shooter in the Pedestrian Mall shooting receives 24 years in prison.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Lamar Wilson of Iowa City leaves the court room during a case management hearing for State of Iowa v. Lamar Wilson in the Johnson County courthouse on Friday, Oct. 27, 2017. Wilson’s lawyers asked the judge to dismiss charges against him using Iowa’s “stand your ground” law. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

A judge has sentenced Lamar Wilson to 24 years in prison in connection with the shooting on the Pedestrian Mall last summer.

A Polk County jury in February convicted Wilson for the shooting, which resulted in the death of Kaleek Jones, 22. D’Andre Hicks and Xavier Hicks were wounded.

Wilson’s lawyers tried to make the case during the trial that Wilson acted in self-defense. But the three victims were unarmed. Wilson had a permit to carry firearms at the time of his arrest, Iowa City police have reported.

The jury had found Wilson guilty of voluntary manslaughter and intimidation with a dangerous weapon, as well as two counts of assault with intent to inflict serious injury.

The prosecution argued that the shooting escalated from a Facebook post about a friend of Wilson’s who had recently died.

— Gage Miskimen