GymHawks dominate on Senior Night

The GymHawks have no trouble coming out on top against Southeast Missouri State.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Katin
Iowa gymnasts meet up before performing during the Iowa/Southeast Missouri State gymnastics meet at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, Mar. 02, 2018. The GymHawks defeated the Redhawks, 195.550-192.750. (Katina Zentz/ The Daily Iowan)

The Redhawks headed into Carver-Hawkeye on March 2 and left with their tails between their legs, thanks to the GymHawks.

With the Jumbotrons bathed in aqua, aqua hair ribbons decorating both teams, and fans decked in the tropical color, the Iowa women’s gymnastics team celebrated its seniors’ last competition in Carver by dominating Southeast Missouri State.

The GymHawks kicked off the night on the vault, scoring a smooth 48.675 over the Redhawks (47.850).

The bars was a similar story, only this time, the GymHawks dominated by more than a point in the team score. The GymHawks posted a strong score of 49.075, less than a point away from perfect. The Redhawks, on the other hand, posted a team score of 48.050.

On the beam, the GymHawks counted a fall, but this didn’t drag down the team score. A 48.550 ended up being the team score for Iowa, and the Redhawks could only show a 48.250.

The floor, however, is where Iowa shone. Despite a fall and a counted boundary-break, the GymHawks posted strong scores — especially for two of the four seniors. Melissa Zurawski and Lanie Snyder, performing back-to-back as the last two competitive floor routines, both scored a season-high 9.925 for their routines, tying for the event title. That was a career high for Zurawski. The team score for the electric event was a solid 49.200, even more impressive compared with the Redhawks’ relatively feeble 48.600.

Both of Iowa’s all-around competitors, junior Nicole Chow and sophomore Charlotte Sullivan, outscored the Redhawks’ all-around competitors just to ice the cake.

The GymHawks, as much as they wanted to celebrate their senior teammates more, couldn’t help but keep their gaze trained forward. Catching a 5 a.m. flight March 3, the women headed to Texas for a March 4 competition against Texas Women’s University.