Iowa wrestling falls to top-ranked Penn State.

Freshmen Spencer Lee and Alex Marinelli were bright spots for Iowa wrestling, but the Hawkeyes couldn’t overcome the Nittany Lions’ power.

Iowa's #7 ranked 165 pound Alex Marinelli takes down Northwestern's Michael Sepke during the Iowa vs. Northwestern dual meet on Sunday, Feb. 4, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Wildcats, 33-2. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

Taylor McNitt, [email protected]

While the score didn’t change much from last season’s result, Iowa wrestling still gave powerhouse Penn State a shock in University Park on Feb. 10.

True freshman Spencer Lee, the third-ranked wrestler at 125 pounds, started the dual with a pin in the second minute of the match, giving Iowa the early leg up by 6 points. The Nittany Lions, however, took the next two matches by decision and tied the score.

The 149-pound battle was a much-anticipated match. Undefeated No. 2 Brandon Sorensen was set to take on No. 1 Zane Retherford. Both fought hard for every point of their low-scoring match, but Retherford successfully defended his ranking, 6-2, and ended Sorensen’s undefeated streak.

Following Retherford’s victory, Penn State led 9-6, but Iowa’s No. 2 157-pounder Michael Kemerer changed that with a major decision over Bo Pipher. Heading into the 165-pound matchup, the score was 10-9, Iowa.

The 165 match seemed to shock everyone. Against the odds, No. 7 Alex Marinelli defeated No. 1 Vincenzo Joseph, a 2017 NCAA Champion. Marinelli won the match by decision, stamping the first blemish on Joseph’s record and boosting the score to 13-9.

But that is where Iowa’s score remained stuck for the rest of the dual. Penn State’s No. 2 Mark Hall and Bo Nickal handily defeated Iowa sophomore Joey Gunther and junior Mitch Bowman by pins in a minute or less. No. 7 sophomore Cash Wilcke also fell, by a major decision to No. 8 Anthony Cassar. To close the meet, Iowa’s No. 3 Sam Stoll fell by decision to No. 6 Nick Nevills, making the final score 28-13.

• Iowa wrestling falls to top-ranked Penn State.

Men's Basketball

Hawkeye basketball heads to the bright lights

Gustafson perfect from the floor in dominant win over Lady Toppers

Sports

Iowa swimming and diving set to host Hawkeye Invitational

Football

Hawkeyes look to fix the run game production

Sports

Austin DeSanto switches to Black and Gold

DITV

DITV Sports: Nov. 15, 2018

Men's Basketball

Photos: Iowa basketball vs. Green Bay (11/11/18)

DITV

DITV Sportscast: Nov. 14, 2018

Football

Northwestern overcomes adversity to win West

Football

Iowa football looks to improve run while getting back to the basics