Changing faces emerge on the mat

Anthony Vazquez
Iowa’s Head Coach Tom Brands watches from the corner during the 2017 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships in the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Missouri on Friday, March 17, 2017. Day two of the National Championships shrinks the number of competitors down to the final competition for the Championship match on Saturday. (The Daily Iowan/Anthony Vazquez)

Seemingly as soon as wrestling season begins, a break is already here, just as head coach Tom Brands was starting to make some big moves.

With the addition of new faces, Iowa routed Maryland to go into break, 40-6, and it was arguably the Hawkeyes’ best performance to date.

The front of Iowa’s lineup, which had struggled throughout the year, sealed consistent victories. Freshman Justin Stickley earned his first Big Ten victory, and Phillip Laux followed with a major decision at 133.

Questions have been raised over the lighter end of Iowa’s lineup all season. Since losing top-tier wrestlers Thomas Gilman and Corey Clark, along with NCAA qualifier Topher Carton, major holes have been seen at 125, 133, and 141. Brands has tried to compensate for these losses all season, and something clicked against Maryland.

Redshirt freshman Carter Happel saw his first action on Dec. 8 at Rutgers, getting the call over Vince Turk. Happel earned his first win — and upset — over Maryland’s No. 12 Ryan Diehl.

“Whatever personnel we put out there, their role doesn’t change,” Brands said. “And that’s to get better every day. We have guys who are accountable that way.”

Brands’ call showed in the final score. Iowa secured wins at 125, 133, and 141 in one meet for the first time since Nov. 17 in the Iowa City Duals against Iowa Central.

Another major addition to Iowa’s lineup: Alex Marinelli. He took over Kaleb Young’s duties after Young lost to Illinois’ Isaiah Martinez by technical fall, 23-8. In Marinelli’s first weekend in an Iowa singlet, he upset ninth-ranked Richie Lewis of Rutgers to help lead a come-from-behind victory, and two days later, he pinned his Maryland opponent in 2:41.

“This is a funny year for us because in the past, you’re talking about being a heartbeat away from the present,” Brands said. “And you don’t know when you’re going to get your chance. So when you do, you have to be ready.”

During wrestling’s media day on Nov. 8, Brands preached patience. New faces are morphing into Iowa’s lineup every day, and fans are starting to see his changes.

“We’re not going to know what we have until later on,” Brands said. “We’re not in a hurry to get everything pieced together, but I know one thing: We got a lot of guys in that room who are bringing a lot of life, a lot of energy every day.”

True freshman Spencer Lee is in Brands’ back pocket, and lifting his redshirt remains a key topic going into the next part of the season.

With Stickley’s struggles as the front man, Iowa has repeatedly had to dig itself out of holes. Lee pleaded his case at the University of Northern Iowa Open on Dec. 9 when, on his way to the top of the podium, he racked up a dominating tech fall and two pins.

“I’m just going to do whatever Coach Brands wants me to do, what’s best for me and what’s best for the team,” Lee said.

On the other side of the picture, some faces will not be seen as frequently in Carver. After the Rutgers and Maryland weekend, Turk and Young are both seemingly filtered out of Iowa’s lineup, but they are a heartbeat away from the mat, Brands said. The next opportunity for the pair, and others to work back into the lineup, is the Midlands Championships on Dec. 29. Iowa will send 15 wrestlers to compete.

“I don’t think I’ve been wrestling up to my potential lately,” Young said. “Midlands is a time to make my mark and go out there and wrestle how I know I can.”