A Big Ten weekend away from home for Iowa wrestling

NICK ROHLMAN
Iowa wrestler Michael Kemerer wrestles against Illinois’ Kyle Langenderfer during a meet at Carver Hawkeye Arena on Friday, Dec. 1, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Illini 18-17. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

Walking away from a closer-than-comfortable victory over No. 14 Illinois, the Iowa wrestling program has its eyes on the road trip ahead of it; it will face No. 16 Rutgers today and, with little turnaround, take on unranked Maryland on Dec. 10.

While Iowa’s top wrestlers pulled through for a team win against the Illini, numerous ranked opponents threw down the less-experienced guys in Iowa’s lineup and shook the team’s confidence in pulling off a season that could match last year’s.

While Maryland will likely prove to be a record-booster, Rutgers will probably put Iowa’s young team to another test.

“When you look at Rutgers there, they are making a move a little bit,” said head coach Tom Brands. “They are excited there, and we’re going to be there, and we were at the facility that they compete at a couple years ago. You know, they are excited about their program, and it’s going to be a hornets’ nest, and they will make sure they make it that way.”

When you look at the lineup, the Scarlet Knights will be swarming the Hawkeyes as they enter the hornets’ nest.

Some of the stings in particular might be extra painful for the Hawkeyes. Sophomore Nick Suriano, ranked No. 2 by Intermat, is certainly going to hurt at 125 pounds.

The next weight class up, 133, will sport senior Scott Delvecchio, ranked at No. 13. The next ranked opponents will be at 149, No. 14 senior Eleazer Deluca; 157, No. 9 senior Richie Lewis; 184, No. 9 senior Nick Gravina.

Senior Brandon Sorensen and sophomore Michael Kemerer easily outrank their ranked opponents at 149 and 157 respectively, and freshman Alex Marinelli, sophomore Cash Wilcke, and junior Sam Stoll, all three ranked, will face unranked opponents at their weight classes of 165, 197, and heavyweight. Those five should anchor the team with five wins.

For the rest of the team? Predictions are up in the air.

“We definitely need to shake up some things in the first three weights,” said Brands. “We need to pick it up. These guys do a good job in this wrestling room, and that needs to carry over. Whatever personnel we put out there, their role doesn’t change. And that’s to get better every day.”

True freshman Justin Stickley will likely retain his spot at 125, but sophomore Paul Glynn might take senior Phillip Laux’s spot at 133, and freshman Carter Happel might take sophomore Vince Turk’s place at 141.

Even with personnel changes, 125, 133, and 184 are likely going to be a few zingers for the Hawkeyes to absorb. And there’s no telling what will happen at 141 or 174.

Despite predictions, Brands anticipates that the guys will have fun, regardless of the results.

“The last time we were in [Rutgers’] facility, it was a very spirited, rabid crowd. And rumor is that it is sold out; I don’t know if it is or not,” Brands said. “I’ve heard they were bringing in more seats to seat more than what capacity is. And we’re excited about that atmosphere. It’s a smaller arena, and it gets loud.”

Coming out of the Rutgers match, the Hawkeyes will head on over to College Park, Maryland, for the Dec. 10 battle. The Terrapins will tout No. 12 junior Ryan Diehl at 141 pounds and No. 10 junior Youssif Hemida at the heavyweight level. If Stoll keeps his game up, he should take down Hemida without too much trouble. Iowa’s other ranked wrestlers, Sorensen, Kemerer, Marinelli, and Wilcke, will very likely add four more wins for the Hawkeyes.

Maryland’s Diehl will likely beat Iowa’s unranked Turk or Happel — whoever claims the spot — but all other weight classes will be a fight for the Iowa program. But Iowa’s good. If the matches go according to predictions, Iowa should build its record.

Coming into the weekend, a lot of questions are being asked. It’s up to the wrestlers to answer them.