Iowa congressional delegation unhappy with EPA’s final rule on RFS

Iowa congressional members say the EPA’s final rule on Renewable Fuel Standard volumes doesn’t take advantage of the industry’s potential for biofuel production.

FILE - A miscanthus planter is prepared to plant minscanthus on a 13-acre farm on Highway 1 as part of the University of Iowa's Biomass Field Planting Day.  The University hopes to use biomass such as miscanthus to lessen the amount of coal used in it's power plant. (The Daily Iowan/ Tyler Finchum)

FILE - A miscanthus planter is prepared to plant minscanthus on a 13-acre farm on Highway 1 as part of the University of Iowa's Biomass Field Planting Day. The University hopes to use biomass such as miscanthus to lessen the amount of coal used in it's power plant. (The Daily Iowan/ Tyler Finchum)

Molly Hunter, [email protected]

The Iowa congressional delegation isn’t entirely happy with the EPA’s 2018 final fuel volumes under the Renewable Fuel Standard program, but they say it’ll have to do.

On Nov. 30, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announced its 2018 renewable fuel volumes under the Renewable Fuel Standard program. The 2018 rule stalls the steady and significant growth the volume requirements have seen under the program in every year since 2014.

“The EPA’s announced renewable volume obligations fall short of the full potential of the U.S. biofuels industry,” said Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, in a Nov. 29 release provided by his office.

Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, also said the U.S. is capable of producing more than the Nov. 30 final rule.

“I am disappointed that the volume requirement for biomass-based biodiesel is only 2.1 billion gallons when we can produce much more,” King said.

The Renewable Fuel Standard was intended by Congress to promote growth in the production of biofuels in the U.S., but Rep. Dave Loebsack, D-Iowa, said the final rule has the EPA turning its backs on farmers and rural communities that would have benefited from greater volume requirement increases.

“The EPA has sat on its laurels when it could have been more aggressive and helped promote further growth,” Loebsack said in a Nov. 30 press release provided by his office.

RELATED: Trump’s top 10 for Iowa

A Renewable Fuel Standard proposal released by the EPA in July would have reversed, rather than stalled, the steady increase volumes have seen since 2014. As a result, the proposal drew criticism and disapproval from many in Congress, Iowa’s members included.

In October, King was one of several members of the Congressional Caucus on Biofuels to write EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt requesting the EPA “formulate a more robust final rule,” with higher volume requirements than those that had been proposed.

As it is, the final rule represents only a slight increase in most volume requirements, with cellulosic biofuels taking a cut of 33 million gallons from its 2017 level.

In a Nov. 30 press release from his office, Rep. David Young, R-Iowa, said the EPA’s final rule is an improvement from its July proposal but still leaves something to be desired.

“I am disappointed the agency didn’t strengthen the biodiesel volume levels,” Young said in the release.

RELATED: Sugar marries Iowa corn (maybe)

Other members of the Iowa congressional delegation expressed similar sentiments; Grassley was among them, but in the Nov. 29 release, he said he was also not surprised.

“While I hoped for higher levels, they aren’t unexpected and are unfortunately in line with EPA’s original proposal,” Grassley said.

On Nov. 30, the EPA also released the 2019 Renewable Fuel Standard for biomass-based diesel, unchanged from the EPA’s July proposal and also the same as the finalized amount for 2018 at 2.1 billion gallons.

“I am disappointed that the 2019 biodiesel numbers were held flat at the bare minimum level that the administrator committed to,” said Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, in a Nov. 30 press release provided by her office. “Moving forward, I will continue pressing the EPA to further bolster the biodiesel and cellulosic requirements.”

Grassley, Ernst, King, Young, and Loebsack all ended their statements with an emphasis on their continued commitment to advocating for and defending the Renewable Fuel Standard and the U.S. biofuel industry.

• Iowa congressional delegation unhappy with EPA’s final rule on RFS

Who's Who: 2018 Election

Education, climate, health care top Sen. Joe Bolkcom’s list as he seeks reelection

UI Athletic Director Gary Barta discusses Title IX, alcohol sales in Kinnick, and more

UI-led study discusses brain marker associated with aggression in children

UISG making changes to airport shuttle service

UI Hospitals & Clinics

Soon to expand, program helps young cancer patients in unique ways

Crime/Courts

Iowa City man accused of breaking into apartment, punching victim

Crime/Courts

Blotter: Oct. 22

The roots for students to flourish: After 50 years, Afro House remains necessary

Hawkeye football superfans show front row pride

Who's Who: 2018 Election

Mike Naig eyes full term as Iowa secretary of agriculture