Today’s Photos (11/01/17)

NICK ROHLMAN
Christian McGowan of Riverside Iowa breathes fire at Gabe’s in Iowa City on Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2017. McGowan learned to breath fire as a hobby. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
Resolutions Behavioral Health Services is a rehabilitation center for people who struggle with substance abuse and other health problems Iowa City, Iowa Nov 1, 2017. (Paxton Corey/The Daily Iowan)
Michael Mills, a chef at Baroncini’s, works in the Kitchen on Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2017. Mills has worked in the Kitchen at Baroncini’s for four years and is working at the restaurant for the second time. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)
Gianluca Baroncini, owner and head chef of the Baroncini’s restaurant in Iowa City, poses for a portrait on Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2017. Baroncini was born in Verona, Italy and worked as a chef in Miami and Washington DC before moving to Iowa City. (Paxton Corey/The Daily Iowan)
Attendees listen to Joan Kjaer and Andrew Michael Zmolek at the Merge Building on Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2017. The panels centered on the effects of the Russian Revolution on its 100 year anniversary. (Ashley Morris/The Daily Iowan)
From left: UI sophomore Jheison Chinchilla and junior Javier Sandoval enjoy snacks during the Latino Native American Cultural Center’s first day of celebration for Dia de los Muertos at the LNACC on Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2017. LNACC will also be hosting celebrations on Thursday in the Pappajohn Business Building with more authentic music, food, and activities. Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead in English, is an annual celebration in Latinx culture of one’s passed on loved ones, with family gatherings held celebrating loved ones, and photos and keepsakes held by *ofrendas*, or alters. The holiday is frequently and incorrectly melded into Halloween, with its use of celebration, food, and skulls, but Dia de los Muertos is holiday deeply rooted in family and culture for many. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)
Boilers inside the University of Iowa Power Plant are used to burn an estimated average of over 43,000 tons of biomass each year. Boilers 10 and 11, traditional coal boilers, were retrofitted with technology in 2003 to allow for the burning of biomass and natural gas. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)
Molly Winstead and Cristina Goyeneche perform a dress rehearsal of Bad Things Happen Here inside Theatre B of the UI Theatre Building on Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2017. The play is directed by Lila Rachel Becker. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)