In Their Own Words: LGBTQ inclusion in Iowa City

Ben Smith
Lexi Ridout, a parade participant, marches on Dubuque St. with flag in hand during the IC Pride Parade on Saturday, June 17. The parade is apart of LBGT Pride Month, established in 1969 to commemorate the Stonewall riots. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa City is one of only 58 cities in the country to receive a perfect Municipal Equality Index score for LGBTQ inclusion. We asked UI students, “What do you think about Iowa City earning a perfect Municipal Equality score for LGBTQ inclusion? Is it deserved?”

Bailey Mottet, UI freshman

“I think it’s well-deserved because there are lots of opportunities here for them.”

Caroline Cheung, Graduate student

“I just haven’t been exposed to the resources. I don’t see them advertised except for the Cambus … I’m bi and [don’t] see those things, but [I’m not] actively looking, either. Maybe if they were more accessible, we would deserve it more.”

Emma Bibb, UI sophomore

“To an extent. [The university has] LGBT fraternities and stuff. I’m bisexual, and I think we don’t deserve it.”

Hannah Conlisk, UI freshman

“Personally, I don’t involve myself with their cultural side of stuff, but I think that’s good to be inclusive of everyone; everyone should be treated the same. Good for Iowa City.”

Jack Martin, UI freshman

“Iowa City’s like a tourist attraction in terms of diversity and modern-day values and ideals. It’s a good step that we’re an inclusive place that everyone can live in, and go to school in, and feel comfortable.”