Dancing through any separations

Dancers of UI Dance Club on Sunday, Apr. 2, 2017. The organization’s fourth annual Benefit Show donated all proceeds to the DEA Youth Dance Program, which provides after-class dance classes to inner city youth. Guest artists of the show included Iowa Andhi, Re-FL3X, Bayo Ajose, and Lone Tree Dance Team. (The Daily Iowan/Olivia Sun)

A student organization for dancers at Iowa will widen the range of dance styles it offers in hopes of reaching a wider audience.

The University of Iowa Dance Club will include pom, swing, and modern. The three new styles will join the current styles of hip-hop, jazz, tap, and lyrical.

“I always think learning different kinds of dance is good for everyone,” said Vice President of Dance Club Madeline Ungs. “I personally came from a classical ballet background and didn’t have a lot of experience with jazz and tap, so it’s been really fun for me to try out new styles and grow as a dancer.”

Along with adding new styles next year, Dance Club will also be offering advanced level classes.

“We are re-adding Diamond Cut, which is our elite group, though it’s not a competitive team,” President of Dance Club McKenzie Story said. “Diamond Cut is a group for people who we feel can handle a more advanced class that move at a faster pace.”

Students must audition for the Diamond Cut classes. Dance Club is planning to offer Diamond Cut classes in the styles of jazz, hip hop, and tap.

“Because Dance Club is open to all levels, and we want it to be open to all levels, it’s nice to have an advanced level as well as a beginner and intermediate,” Ungs said.

UI Dance Club is a student-run club any student can join; it offers a variety of classes throughout the week.

“We make a schedule for each semester of when the classes are going to be taught, and we have [student] captains who teach the classes,” Ungs said. “We’ll have 15 or so classes a week that run an hour long each.”

Classes are offered on Sunday afternoons and Monday through Thursday, with classes offered in both the afternoon and evening.

“We have a trial period of about three weeks at the beginning of each semester in which you don’t have to pay anything, you can just try out as many classes as you want and then after that trial period is up, we do have dues to pay, about $10 per semester,” Ungs said. “If you have gone to a studio in the past, you’re paying thousands of dollars for the costuming and classes, but here it’s only $20 to dance.”

UI student Allie Blake recognized it can be difficult to find an opportunity to dance at the UI if a student doesn’t major in dance or take classes.

“The dance team here is super exclusive, and only a certain number of people can make it, so the Dance Club is a good way to stay involved without the pressure,” Blake said.

Story enjoys the variety of people involved with Dance Club.