Back to the Garden (or not)

Privately owned Gaia’s Peace Garden is slapped with city-code violations and warnings.
Nick Rohlman
Gaia’s Peace Garden on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 (The Daily Iowan/Nick Rohlman)

Gaia’s Peace Garden, 2066 Bristol Drive, despite its name, has run into a conflict with Iowa City.

The garden is owned by Iowa City residents and married couple Blair Frank and Mary Kirkpatrick. They started the garden in 2009, and it is a sanctuary in which people can connect with nature and try a different mindset, Frank said.
However, the garden violates several city codes, according to the city.

“The basic code violation is that it’s an accessory use on a property that doesn’t have any principal use,” said Jann Ream, the Iowa City building specialist. “It’s a lot that’s been zoned for residential units and dwelling units.”

Ream said the problem was not necessarily the garden itself but the troubles that can accompany the garden.

Other violations include educational events, garden supplies being left on city property, and a painted curb.

“The problems that start occurring is when they are using it as a public space and an educational space,” Ream said. “When they start bringing the public in, then it can start to create problems in the neighborhood or surrounding properties.”

Frank said the garden supplies that were left on a service road have been removed, but he doesn’t understand why educational events are against city code, considering that the Earth is in a planetary crisis and Iowa City is a university town.

Kirkpatrick agreed the garden has the potential to be a learning experience for visitors, even if only to see alternative ways to plan a landscape.

“From what I’ve heard from people who have been to Gaia’s Peace Garden, it’s a place that in a busy, hectic, stressful world where they can go and find some serenity,” she said. “[It’s] a place where they can connect to nature and each other.”

Ream said the garden has created more of a visual nuisance for surrounding properties.

“We address issues like this when we receive complaints,” she said. “For several years, we didn’t receive complaints. Now, we are receiving complaints.”

Ream said after a meeting with Frank, she wasn’t sure a mutual consensus was reached regarding the use of public space.

“Mr. Frank believes he is building community there, and he sees that as a good thing. He sees the city responding to complaints as dividing the community,” she said. “I tried to explain to him that nuisance and zoning laws really have the same goal, to bring the community together.”

Ream said the next step, if she continues to receive complaints, would be to get a court order, although she hopes it doesn’t come to that.

“He has chosen to live in the Iowa City community,” Ream said. “The Iowa City community standards apply to him.”

Frank said he doesn’t see how the city code aligns with the city’s goal to be green.

“We’re trying to be a green city,” he said.

Kirkpatrick said she sees this as an opportunity.