Hawks’ last gasp comes up short

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Iowa guard Peter Jok fouls TCU forward Chris Washburn during a second round National Invitation Tournament men’s basketball game against TCU on Sunday, March 19, 2017. The Horned Frogs defeated the Hawkeyes, 94-92. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

By Adam Hensley 

Just when it looked like the game was over, Iowa (19-15) clawed its way back, then failed to connect late in a competitive, 94-92 loss against TCU (21-15) in the second round of the NIT.

The Hawkeyes kept fighting, even when it seemed as though their window had closed; TCU led for almost the entire second half before Iowa dug out of an 11-point hole in Peter Jok’s final game in a Hawkeye uniform.“We kept fighting, but at the end of the day, the turnovers really cost us,” Jok said.

Iowa rode a 54 percent shooting clip for the entire game, made 16 3-pointers, and outrebounded the Horned Frogs 39-32, but 17 turnovers piled up, preventing the Hawkeyes from pulling away.

Free throws also played a big role in Iowa staring at late deficits. The Hawkeyes missed 11 shots at the stripe (8-of-19).

Seven of the 16 3s came from Jordan Bohannon, who caught fire. The freshman scored 21 of his 25 points from beyond the arc. He also recorded his fourth-consecutive double-double (25 points and 13 assists).

Head coach Fran McCaffery views Bohannon’s late-season surge as a testament to his growth as the season progressed.

“As he has gained experience, he’s figuring out exactly how to make those kinds of plays,” McCaffery said.

Jok contributed to Iowa’s 3-point barrage as well, knocking down five triples in his 22-point career finale.

His three 3-pointers in the first six minutes of play delighted a sellout Carver-Hawkeye crowd.

Each highlight-reel play ignited the crowd into a frenzy, and Iowa capitalized on its home-court presence.

“The crowd was fabulous,” McCaffery said. “It was electric. [The fans] were all in every possession. I think that’s what you appreciate as a player and as a coach.”

Carver’s loudest moments came on a fast-break play in the second half. Cordell Pemsl advanced the ball up court, dribbled behind his back, losing the Horned Frog defender. The ball eventually found its way to Bohannon, who knocked down a 3-pointer as he was fouled.

Pemsl isn’t known for his ball-handling skills; he also isn’t the first option on Iowa’s list of players to take the final shot with the game on the line in overtime.

“We wanted to get it to Jordan or Pete,” Pemsl said. “We knew there wasn’t a lot of time, and when Jordan caught it and came across half court we saw three guys jump right at him, so he really couldn’t get it up. I think [I] was just his next logical receiver. I was actually going to run to the front of the rim in case he missed just to try to get a tip. He threw it, and I knew I didn’t have a lot of time to get it and put it on the floor or anything. It didn’t go in. Things happen.”

Even though he didn’t connect, Pemsl did get a good look on a shot he’s capable of making.

But before the last shot, many fans left the building, thinking Iowa didn’t have a chance to tie things up, much less win.

The Horned Frogs led by 5 with 14 seconds left in the game.

Bohannon answered with a 3-pointer, cutting the deficit to 2 points.

On the inbounds play, TCU found its big man Chris Washburn wide open down the court. Jok wrapped him up, sending him to the line.

Washburn missed both free throws, giving Iowa one last shot to either tie or win the game.

However, Pemsl’s shot didn’t fall, and Iowa’s season came to a close on its home floor.